ALDABRA HATCHLING PROJECT // WEIGHT GAIN // FIRST MONTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

AldabCurator

5 Year Member
Hello Aldabraman,

I wanted to introduce myself - My name is Denny Vogt and I work as an assistant animal curator at Mesker Park Zoo in Evansville, IN and I have thoroughly enjoyed researching aldabra tortoises through your posts on this website. We received two aldabra hatchlings here at the zoo two months prior and the originating zoo did not provide us much info on the growth trends/humidity needs. I wanted to thank you for all of the great info you provided online so that I could develop a good program here for the little torts. If you have a minute at some point, do you think you might be able to provide updated weights/measurements on "CC" for the previous month? My guys were little from the start and have been catching up in weight. One is currently 4 months old (170 g) and the other is 3.5 months (150 g). Again, thank you so much for providing such great aldabra husbandry info - take care!

Denny

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bangkok
Oh my god - I can't believe how tiny they were, when they first hatched (the hands put their size into perspective :D).
I never realized how small they can be, somehow assumed they are born huge :D (e.g. 10x the size of other tortoise hatchlings).
Great pictures!

River14

5 Year Member
:) Wow. Im sooo happy to note their eyes. I was thinking one of mine (Stars) had puffy eyes but they look just like yours so Im very relieved:D

I absolutely love those round eggs. They look like turtle eggs (ocean) I get a bit confused as little turtles (fresh water) I call terrapines..... , how exciting. The little black bbs look so healthy. I love the bathing pic awwwwe. So this is "nigra"?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
River14 said:
:) Wow. Im sooo happy to note their eyes. I was thinking one of mine (Stars) had puffy eyes but they look just like yours so Im very relieved:D

I absolutely love those round eggs. They look like turtle eggs (ocean) I get a bit confused as little turtles (fresh water) I call terrapines..... , how exciting. The little black bbs look so healthy. I love the bathing pic awwwwe. So this is "nigra"?

Not quite; it's dussumieri.

PsychedChicken

5 Year Member
Carrabelle, Fl
Hey Greg!! I emailed you a little while back with some questions and such about aldabras. I think it was the end of last week or the beginning of this week. Did you ever get it?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
PsychedChicken said:
Hey Greg!! I emailed you a little while back with some questions and such about aldabras. I think it was the end of last week or the beginning of this week. Did you ever get it?

I have not, [email protected].

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Greg, thank you so much for sharing your project. It is fun to watch your beautiful babies grow. I am amazed at how big they are already getting. Looking forward to future postings on them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Claireabbo said:
i need some scales. any advice on where to get them?

I like using the postal scales from places like OfficeMax.

Status
Not open for further replies.