Location (City and/or State)
ct.usa
RE: ALDABRA HATCHLING PROJECT // WIEGHT GAIN // FIRST MONTH

HI, THEY ARE SO CUTE!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Beautiful pics, your torts are gorgeous! They got ''huge'' in a month and their shells are perfect :)
Thanks for sharing!

DAV46

5 Year Member
Go Greg! Neat how they are born brown then turn black so quickly. So small you would think an adult aldabra would lay and ostrich sized egg! That tiny 2 inch tortoise will have toenails three times that size! amazing.

Orko

5 Year Member
Hi Greg, can you weight my 2 little ones?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Orko said:

Tonight, e-mail will be coming. They are doing great! :)

DAV46 said:
Go Greg! Neat how they are born brown then turn black so quickly. So small you would think an adult aldabra would lay and ostrich sized egg! That tiny 2 inch tortoise will have toenails three times that size! amazing.

All of ours have always hatched brownish and always turn blackish within the first month, some faster than others.

Toenails, they get hugh!

Eggs are relatively small, 2" or so.

Isa said:
Beautiful pics, your torts are gorgeous! They got ''huge'' in a month and their shells are perfect :)
Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, most will be going to new homes within a week or so.

momo said:
HI, THEY ARE SO CUTE!

Thank you.

dalano73 said:
They look very good...

Thank you.

Just a note, the first one hatched is the same one in all of these pictures. This same tortoise will be the same one for all future posting regarding this thread. All others are slotted to get picked up starting next week. I do realize that most folks never get a chance to see a under 4" aldabra hatchling and the growth/weight progression due to most offered are imported and well over 4". For those of you that are interested it is my pleasure to provide these pictures and information. Greg.

Also, please feel free to make any comments or post any questions you may have on this thread. I will make a very complete new thread at the very end of this project inorder to follow the changes easy.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
ALDABRAMAN said:
Orko said:

DAV46 said:

All of ours have always hatched brownish and always turn blackish within the first month, some faster than others.

Toenails, they get hugh!

Isa said:
Thanks for sharing!

momo said:
HI, THEY ARE SO CUTE!

Thank you.

dalano73 said:
They look very good...

Thank you.

Just a note, the first one hatched is the same one in all of these pictures. This same tortoise will be the same one for all future posting regarding this thread. All others are slotted to get picked up starting next week. I do realize that most folks never get a chance to see a under 4" aldabra hatchling and the growth/weight progression due to most offered are imported and well over 4". For those of you that are interested it is my pleasure to provide these pictures and information. Greg.

Also, please feel free to make any comments or post any questions you may have on this thread. I will make a very complete new thread at the very end of this project inorder to follow the changes easy.

It is very awesome of you to post these. Do any of your torts lay late in the season? Our girls still show developing follicles on ultrasound, but no eggs :/ ugh.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
zesty_17 said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
Orko said:

DAV46 said:

Toenails, they get hugh!

Isa said:
Thanks for sharing!

momo said:
HI, THEY ARE SO CUTE!

Thank you.

dalano73 said:
They look very good...

Thank you.

It is very awesome of you to post these. Do any of your torts lay late in the season? Our girls still show developing follicles on ultrasound, but no eggs :/ ugh.

My pleasure. Our group has always layed between October and March. We have never had one lay outside those months, most from November to February. I keep in touch with two other aldabra breeders and they relate the same thing.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Update, day 30. 100g and 3"+.

S/05-15-2011

2db9fh1.jpg

k0j639.jpg

This is the last picture of the last ten, all will be leaving this week except two.

dnfu60.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
They all look so good, I saw one at the reptile show earlier this month and it was so tiny, so I assumed it wasn't getting the best care..

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Update, day 37(5 weeks). 108g.

S/05-22-2011

okz6mp.jpg

Update, day 44(6 weeks). 113g.

S/05-29-2011

mtt655.jpg

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Thank you for allowing me to live vicariously through you and your hatchlings. This is an amazing thread. I look forward to seeing them progress....

Status
Not open for further replies.