Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi RustyIron:

Won't you please take a few moments to start a new thread in the Introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi RustyIron:

Won't you please take a few moments to start a new thread in the Introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself?

I have done it, but it's not showing there, what should I do now?

That means Aldabraman would not answer my questions? You suspect I am lying that I own an aldabra? I am 14, but I breed scotland fold (cats) for many years, and I sold 2 of the babes to get money to buy my aldabra.

If you don't believe me, I can take picture of it in front of monitor with backing of my post if you want, but it's sleeping now, midnight here, will take picture tomorrow.

I need answer about the shell, because it's very soft. :( I search here, no answer about Aldabra soft shells.

Can I trust the Japanese books, it's normal to be soft until 8-9"? thanks.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Rustyiron said:
Hi, Aldabraman, you are always great and my hero, I have been reading your posts here for the last several months.

I have an Aldabra exactly as yours, same age and same size, 5", but only 354grams, but his shell is kinda bumpy and very soft.

Can you please tell me is it normal to have soft shell? I read from some Japanese books saying that Aldabras are known for their soft shells, and the shell will harden after 8-9", is this true?

Is my tortoise bumpy? He eats a lot, should I cut down his diet? thanks...

Mr.Chan - from Hong Kong

181934wd7us8lwsulfjucs.jpg

Welcome. The first picture is of a seven month old that we hatched out several years ago. The second picture is of two hatchlings that we hatched out this past year. We keep our hatchlings outside in a secured pen from almost day one in the full sunshine with plenty of shade options and plenty of natural vegitation for browsing. We also provide some quality greens and cactus. Ours browse all the time at will until they are picked up for relocation. The first picture is typical of the growth of one that we maintain at our program until they leave. We do not provide any fruit or manufactured food sources for the first several months. We have had great results with this standard, natural sunshine, natural vegitation, good hydration, high humidity, and providing ample room for good exercise. Check out ORKOS pictures and threads, he has two of our hatchlings from last year and he is the perfect exmple of a great aldabra keeper, his two look great and healthy!

t9850z.jpg

29z7vc3.jpg

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
Welcome. The first picture is of a seven month old that we hatched out several years ago. The second picture is of two hatchlings that we hatched out this past year. We keep our hatchlings outside in a secured pen from almost day one in the full sunshine with plenty of shade options and plenty of natural vegitation for browsing. We also provide some quality greens and cactus. Ours browse all the time at will until they are picked up for relocation. The first picture is typical of the growth of one that we maintain at our program until they leave. We do not provide any fruit or manufactured food sources for the first several months. We have had great results with this standard, natural sunshine, natural vegitation, good hydration, high humidity, and and providing ample room for good exercise. Check out ORKOS pictures and threads, he has two of our hatchlings from last year and he is the perfect exmple of a great aldabra keeper, his two look great and healthy!

Wow, very nice environment to breed aldabra, but in Hong Kong, land is very small, we don't have that environment, can I ask?

1. Feeding grass or vegi, will provide less protein for the babes?

2. High humidity will cause Upper Respiratory disease? how much is high? 85%

3. My aldabra has soft shell, is it normal as the Japanese books say?

Many thanks :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Rustyiron said:
emysemys said:
Hi RustyIron:

I have done it, but it's not showing there, what should I do now?

That means Aldabraman would not answer my questions? You suspect I am lying that I own an aldabra? I am 14, but I breed scotland fold (cats) for many years, and I sold 2 of the babes to get money to buy my aldabra.

If you don't believe me, I can take picture of it in front of monitor with backing of my post if you want, but it's sleeping now, midnight here, will take picture tomorrow.

I need answer about the shell, because it's very soft. :( I search here, no answer about Aldabra soft shells.

Can I trust the Japanese books, it's normal to be soft until 8-9"? thanks.

No, Yvonne nor anybody else is thinking your not telling the truth. Your first five posts are moderated, so you have to wait for a Mod to approve them before the rest of the forum can see them. You need to be a bit patient with us, okay.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
No, Yvonne nor anybody else is thinking your not telling the truth. Your first five posts are moderated, so you have to wait for a Mod to approve them before the rest of the forum can see them. You need to be a bit patient with us, okay.

I see, I didn't know, I am newbie, here is my new Aldabra babe photo :shy:

221223x4unffvbafpbuuva.jpg

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Rustyiron said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
Welcome. The first picture is of a seven month old that we hatched out several years ago. The second picture is of two hatchlings that we hatched out this past year. We keep our hatchlings outside in a secured pen from almost day one in the full sunshine with plenty of shade options and plenty of natural vegitation for browsing. We also provide some quality greens and cactus. Ours browse all the time at will until they are picked up for relocation. The first picture is typical of the growth of one that we maintain at our program until they leave. We do not provide any fruit or manufactured food sources for the first several months. We have had great results with this standard, natural sunshine, natural vegitation, good hydration, high humidity, and and providing ample room for good exercise. Check out ORKOS pictures and threads, he has two of our hatchlings from last year and he is the perfect exmple of a great aldabra keeper, his two look great and healthy!

Wow, very nice environment to breed aldabra, but in Hong Kong, land is very small, we don't have that environment, can I ask?

1. Feeding grass or vegi, will provide less protein for the babes?

2. High humidity will cause Upper Respiratory disease? how much is high? 85%

3. My aldabra has soft shell, is it normal as the Japanese books say?

Many thanks :)

1. Feeding grass or vegetables does not equal to less protein. Some veggies like beans which are quite high in protein. Grass won't have much protein as it contains a lot of silica. Aldabras need a diet that's calcium rich, high fiber, and low protein.
2. High humidity won't cause URD (upper respiratory disease) if the tortoises are kept warm. Warm and wet are perfectly fine, COLD and wet will present problems.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
1. Feeding grass or vegetables does not equal to less protein. Some veggies like beans which are quite high in protein. Grass won't have much protein as it contains a lot of silica. Aldabras need a diet that's calcium rich, high fiber, and low protein.
2. High humidity won't cause URD (upper respiratory disease) if the tortoises are kept warm. Warm and wet are perfectly fine, COLD and wet will present problems.

Oh I see now, thank you so much ^_^

One more question:

- Can I give my aldabra baby direct sunlight? because some Aldabra breeders in my country told me that because Aldabras have dark shells, it can absorb IR and UVA very quickly and warm up the body to over 50 degree Celsius and damage Aldabra's organs.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Rustyiron said:
tortoises101 said:

Oh I see now, thank you so much ^_^

One more question:

- Can I give my aldabra baby direct sunlight? because some Aldabra breeders in my country told me that because Aldabras have dark shells, it can absorb IR and UVA very quickly and warm up the body to over 50 degree Celsius and damage Aldabra's organs.

If an aldabra has the choices of a sunny spot and a shady spot, it can thermoregulate.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
If an aldabra has the choices of a sunny spot and a shady spot, it can thermoregulate.

I understand now, thanks! My aldabra is sitting facing the sun for over 40 mins, not moving at all, I touched his shell, very hot. I guess they are very tolerant of the heat althought their shells are dark blue or black. I have to take it away from the sun after 30-40 mins.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Rustyiron said:
tortoises101 said:

I understand now, thanks! My aldabra is sitting facing the sun for over 40 mins, not moving at all, I touched his shell, very hot. I guess they are very tolerant of the heat althought their shells are dark blue or black. I have to take it away from the sun after 30-40 mins.

:tort: All of our aldabras, all sizes and ages, are outside in full spectrum sunlight with ample shade options. They regulate the sun exposures themselfs, never any issues.

Rustyiron

5 Year Member
sorry for my late reply, it was my midterm exam week. haha

thank you ALDABRAMAN!! I understand now. now I don't need to worry about too hot from sunlight. :)

Katherine

5 Year Member
Amazing pictures! Such beautiful tortoises, thank you for sharing! We almost purchased an Aldabra many years ago but resisted their dinosaur charms as we knew a move was inevitably in our future and were a little unsure of how our kiddos would handle a cooler climate. Now that we have moved and reestablished a great system for our Sulcatas and Leopards seeing these babies is definitely giving me the itch again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.