Aldabra enclosure size

Redfoot!!!

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
Hey everyone, I am getting a baby aldabra soon (around 3-4 inches) and I want to know what the ideal size for a baby aldabra enclosure is. Is 135 square feet enough? If it isn’t then could you please tell me? Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey everyone, I am getting a baby aldabra soon (around 3-4 inches) and I want to know what the ideal size for a baby aldabra enclosure is. Is 135 square feet enough? If it isn’t then could you please tell me? Thanks.
135 sq. ft. is plenty big for a baby. Should have lots of logs boulders, plants and hiding places. Its also a great thing if you can incorporate hills and elevation changes in their enclosures. Nothing too steep. We don't want them to tip over, but going up and down hills is great for their developing skeletal and muscular systems.

By the time the baby is around 25-30cm, I like them to have 900-1000 square feet or more. By the time they reach 40-50 kg, the enclosure should be at least 2500-3000 sq. ft., if not more. Give them lots and lots of room to walk.

Something that I've seen frequently with the giant species is enclosures that are too small. Few keepers give them enough room in my opinion, and I believe this to be part of the reason some of them have health issues.

Redfoot!!!

Jakarta
135 sq. ft. is plenty big for a baby. Should have lots of logs boulders, plants and hiding places. Its also a great thing if you can incorporate hills and elevation changes in their enclosures. Nothing too steep. We don't want them to tip over, but going up and down hills is great for their developing skeletal and muscular systems.

By the time the baby is around 25-30cm, I like them to have 900-1000 square feet or more. By the time they reach 40-50 kg, the enclosure should be at least 2500-3000 sq. ft., if not more. Give them lots and lots of room to walk.

Something that I've seen frequently with the giant species is enclosures that are too small. Few keepers give them enough room in my opinion, and I believe this to be part of the reason some of them have health issues.
Ok! By the time it reaches 30 cm I probably will already have moved to a new place with a big yard for it. How much space does a fully sized aldabra need? Thanks for your help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok! By the time it reaches 30 cm I probably will already have moved to a new place with a big yard for it. How much space does a fully sized aldabra need? Thanks for your help.
As much space as you can give it. The larger the enclosure the better.

There is no scientifically studied enclosure size that magically prevents all problems. We know they have problems when kept in enclosures that are too small, like a normal American backyard. Any tortoise has problems when kept in an enclosure that is too small. Since there are so many variables involved such as diet, climate, humidity, hydration, individual tortoise habits, etc... there is no way to list a specific size. I gave some sizes for reference based on my experiences with tortoises over the last 3 decades but the best answer I can give is: When it comes to enclosure size, bigger is better. I think 10,000 square feet would probably be large enough, but 43,560 sq. ft. (one acre) would be better for a full size adult.

Redfoot!!!

Jakarta
As much space as you can give it. The larger the enclosure the better.

There is no scientifically studied enclosure size that magically prevents all problems. We know they have problems when kept in enclosures that are too small, like a normal American backyard. Any tortoise has problems when kept in an enclosure that is too small. Since there are so many variables involved such as diet, climate, humidity, hydration, individual tortoise habits, etc... there is no way to list a specific size. I gave some sizes for reference based on my experiences with tortoises over the last 3 decades but the best answer I can give is: When it comes to enclosure size, bigger is better. I think 10,000 square feet would probably be large enough, but 43,560 sq. ft. (one acre) would be better for a full size adult.
Wow! That is a lot of space. I think 10,000-15,000 square feet is manageable. Thanks a lot!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow! Thanks a lot! Those are some beautiful enclosures. Do you ship to Indonesia though?
This is a new member. They had not met rules to post that kind of post. But be leary of new members that only post to try and sell something or only wants free tortoises.
Do your home work before giving anyone money.