-ALDABRA DEATH-

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
I wanted to share a conversation i had today with our community. I received a call today for two hatchlings. After a long talk the caller had shared with me the tragedy that they had recently experienced involving the two 60 pound aldabras that they had since hatchlings. The neighbors had out of town company that included grand children around the age of seven years old. The child, who was unsupervised, had decided he was going to feed the neighbors tortoises so he went to the barn and got some hay. He then threw the hay over into the neighbors property where the two aldabras were kept. Both aldabras immediately ate the hay. Both aldabras had suddenly passed away several days later. After further investigation, they had eaten the hay that had wire ties that eventually caused both of the deaths. Sad circumstances, however my intent is to simply share the circumstances of what happened. I know i have made it more than clear that our neighbors are not to throw anything into our fields, nothing!

- FYI-

IMG_8204.JPG

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
How awful...So sorry to hear that. and Thank you for sharing the warning. my neighbor also known we have tortoise but think God for no kids.
How sad that is..........

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That's terrible, I hope they don't tell the little girl, it might devastate her.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
This is horrible! Thanks for sharing it so others are aware of what can happen and can try to take precautions with neighbors who know they have tortoises. :(

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
That's awful.. Makes me rethink some of my own childhood actions.
Most of us have done things we regret, particularly in childhood, but the child who threw the hay in should know the consequences of his actions. I don't mean that the child needs severe punishment, but some sort of restitution to the couple that lost the torts would be in order.

yillt

That's terrible. That child must have felt so bad. He was only trying to do a good thing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for sharing this story, Greg. A couple years ago I had an X-ray done on one of my Aldabrans to see if he had a blockage. There was no blockage, but one of those twist ties that heads of lettuce are tied up with showed up on the X-ray. I don't feed my tortoises lettuce, and if I did, I certainly would not leave the twist tie on it, so I don't know how it got in there. We decided to do nothing, and it eventually rusted away, thank goodness.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Thanks for sharing this story, Greg. A couple years ago I had an X-ray done on one of my Aldabrans to see if he had a blockage. There was no blockage, but one of those twist ties that heads of lettuce are tied up with showed up on the X-ray. I don't feed my tortoises lettuce, and if I did, I certainly would not leave the twist tie on it, so I don't know how it got in there. We decided to do nothing, and it eventually rusted away, thank goodness.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Yes, when we purchased Homer he pooped plastic, misc. paper stuff, and a few of those twist ties that you mentioned also!