Aldabra Behavior

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, the pyramiding looks a lot less on one then the other. No worries though, they are both still beautiful. Just not as smooth as Greg's. Not sure I have seen any as smooth as his. So, you have good grazing and food it sounds like. Maybe you give more Mazuri then Greg. Are you able to be sure about their ages? Sounds like your going to have some big ones for sure, maybe sooner then you expected:D.

marty4dive

5 Year Member
Vallejo, CA
image.jpg
wellington said:
Yes, the pyramiding looks a lot less on one then the other. No worries though, they are both still beautiful. Just not as smooth as Greg's. Not sure I have seen any as smooth as his. So, you have good grazing and food it sounds like. Maybe you give more Mazuri then Greg. Are you able to be sure about their ages? Sounds like your going to have some big ones for sure, maybe sooner then you expected:D.

The roaming, grazing area with the pond; not sure how much they're using the pond but it's there for them; I actually got it finished just when the weather cooled. Probably next summer they'll appreciate it a lot more. Marty

Didn't get the pond picture in. Here it is. Marty

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
How much hay do both of them eat every day?

Your enclosure is nice, but since you grow so many things inside pots, don't the aldabras overturn them a lot everyday?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Yellow Turtle said:
I'd like to ask question to Greg. // For the 3 years old aldabra // what is the size and weight of it?

* That particular Aldabra was a female and was in the range of 10 to 11 inches SL and around the 14 or 15 pound range.

* When we grow Aldabra hatchlings at our program from hatchlings we typically see them at the three year mark within the ranges of 10 to 15 inches SL and in the range of 13 to 20 pounds.

* Here is a three year old male that is around the 13 inch mark and about 18 pounds.

2n866c8.jpg

marty4dive

5 Year Member
Vallejo, CA
Yellow Turtle said:
How much hay do both of them eat every day?

Your enclosure is nice, but since you grow so many things inside pots, don't the aldabras overturn them a lot everyday?

I'm not sure they're eating much hay; I put it out for them but I think they're are too many other things to tempt them; if they are eating it it's not a lot at this point. Yes they do knock stuff over but no big deal; by knocking it over they can get to it easier. The hay serves as a substrate in some muddy areas; they can lay on it or eat it. Marty

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wellington said:
I would like to know though Greg. Do you think, the difference in growth lines are because these ones are growing at a faster pace then average or because they have pyramiding?

* The wide/thick growth lines are indicators to me that they are growing fast. I have seen wide/thick growth lines and no pyramiding. What works for us, meaning no pyramiding, is an all natural diet (meaning grass, weeds, cactus, etc. and no commercial foods or supplements), good hydration, natural unfiltered sunshine for thermal regulation, and plenty of room for ample exercise for optimal health and development.

24w7jti.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So, Greg, you don't feed the Mazuri to your younger ones at all, only the adults? I know Mazuri does put on some faster growth.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
wellington said:
So, Greg, you don't feed the Mazuri to your younger ones at all!

* We do not feed any commercial feed or supplements to our hatchlings. After thirty days, we will offer some misc. fruit as treats, however it is in very small quantity.

1zbc3md.jpg

wellington said:
So, Greg, you feed Mazuri to your adults?

* Yes, basically during egg laying season!

marty4dive

5 Year Member
Vallejo, CA
image.jpg
ALDABRAMAN said:
wellington said:
So, Greg, you don't feed the Mazuri to your younger ones at all!

* We do not feed any commercial feed or supplements to our hatchlings. After thirty days, we will offer some misc. fruit as treats, however it is in very small quantity.

1zbc3md.jpg

Some more pics of Toothless, Jett, enclosure

wellington said:
So, Greg, you feed Mazuri to your adults?

* Yes, basically during egg laying season!

marty4dive

5 Year Member
Vallejo, CA
IMG_1300.jpgA couple more pics; not great but hey, I'm trying

IMG_1302.jpgWell, I'm not sure how to add more than one pic at a time. Here's another

IMG_1330.jpgAnd another.Marty