Aldabra baby- tub or outdoor enclosure?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My thinking would be to house it outside with yard misters and make the night time shed/hide humid also, specially in AZ. Aldabraman and AlaskaMike both have the advantage of being in humid Florida. You have to do for the area you live. Being in very dry AZ is much different then being in very humid FLA.

Zach B

5 Year Member
Ok, so here is my juvenile set up. I have an 8x15 enclosure to start, but can expand as needed. I just felt this would be a good size to let the little one exercise but I won't lose him!

It has shade over the hide box 24/7, the rest of the enclosure is part shade, with a couple spots that have full sun. I placed several micro-sprinklers on a timer to run 10 minutes 5 times a day. The yard is ranging from 40-70% humidity.

The box is 3x4 ft, double walled with foam insulation. I used a waterproofing paint for the exterior. I added a shower curtain for a bottom liner and flap door. I also added a garage door rubber threshold as a seal for the lid. I have a CHE on a thermostat to keep it above 80 at night. I added moist sphagnum moss mixed with coco coir as a substrate. The box is staying at 80% humidity.

Any thoughts? I feel I'm on the right track. I also feel this would be a good setup for future juvenile torts of any species, not just Aldabs.

One question, with this enclosure, how long would you continue daily soaks? Do they ever outgrow the need?

image.jpg image.jpg