Albino Sulcata Buyer Beware

Fredkas

5 Year Member
As always, yours is the hardest one to reply :D
1. This breeder is a member of this forum. Well, he mostly advertise his hatchlings here, did not contribute much.

2. Yes, I use the coco coir, soil-like, substrate. Mixed it well with water, humidity and temperature never drops below 80.

3. I have given a picture of my enclosure to the breeder. He knows I am talking about the coir, not the fiber. Yet he chose to reply that way. Like @saginawhxc and tom said, these people think there's nothing wrong with how they raise their hatchlings. They will probably stay like this until the end of times.
Not that hard after all :D. I read ur other reply and i should say that when you are ready, please do post ur baby progress. You'll find it is a happy event and will make you feel even better. And where is @Gillian Moore ? i remembered she was always the best at comfort people at this beloved forum.
The coir part was the part that make me went ballistic, that was why i commented so much :D:D

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Before you purchased these torts did you discuss how the breeder raises his babies? What was your tort experience/background?

I'm only asking the questions, so if a newbie is reading they will understand everything they need to do before purchasing a tortoise, especially one as expensive as you bought.

Bee62

Germany
Spudthetortoise said
My little guy was constantly thirsty. He would go to the bowl multiple times a day and drink for minutes at a time.My hermanns tortoise drinks occasionally but nothing like the Indian star. Maybe it was something to do with the dryness that they had experienced before.

I don`t know if it is helpful but if cats get sick of kidney weakness they drink much more than a healthy cat would ever do. Mayby it`s the same when tortoises are sick because of weak kidneys.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry for this ordeal happening to you.
Do you live out of the country? I'm wondering why you needed someone that held a CITES? They are not needed for selling sulcatas.

Taco*mom

Before you purchased these torts did you discuss how the breeder raises his babies? What was your tort experience/background?

I'm only asking the questions, so if a newbie is reading they will understand everything they need to do before purchasing a tortoise, especially one as expensive as you bought.

Time difference was exactly 12 hours and communication was done via whatsapp. When I asked how he raised his babies, he said he'll send me a picture. So when I asked in the morning, it's night time in Florida so he said he'd do it the next day. The next day he would conveniently forget but did not forget to mention that he only have around 20 perfect scutes available and he has gotten orders from Hong Kong and Philippine. Oh and there was that the hurricane in Florida, and he said he kept the tortoises out in the barn/shed. On and on it goes.

I have a yearling sulcata named Taco who was 10 days old when I got her. Egg yolk residue was still on her plastron.

Taco*mom

Not that hard after all :D. I read ur other reply and i should say that when you are ready, please do post ur baby progress. You'll find it is a happy event and will make you feel even better. And where is @Gillian Moore ? i remembered she was always the best at comfort people at this beloved forum.
The coir part was the part that make me went ballistic, that was why i commented so much :D:D
Thanks for your support. I probably will create a thread of their progress once the tension has lessened.

PS. I kinda like the thought of making you went ballistic :p:D