Albino Sulcata Buyer Beware

Taco*mom

Hi everyone,

Just want to share my horrible experience with you. I were not gonna post anything, but my family, good friend and senior member of this forum really suggest that I do. So here it is.

I purchased 4 albino sulcatas and 6 hets from a breeder in Florida, who unfortunately, starts his hatchlings VERY dry.

I was aware about Tom's HFS thread, but somehow feeling hopeful after reading Maggie's post that not all hatchlings started dry ended up horribly. The breeder that I purchased from, being the only one who has master CITES for exporting purpose, became my only source to get hatchlings from. He gave me pictures of his enclosure after I transferred him the money, despite my previous attempts to get it from him.

For those of you who are not familiar with HFS please refer to this link:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

I prepared humid enclosure for them. Provided the right 4 temp. Sun them 1 hour every day. Soak and feed them twice a day.

One of the albinos, P, died after 12 days in my care. Ever since it came, it didn't move much and didn't eat until about the 8th day. I was so happy when he started to eat. But he died suddenly on the 12th day with a soft carapace.

The second albino, M, died Jan 8, 2017. She was eating and moving fine, but suddenly lost her appetite. She barely ate anything for 3 days, then completely stop eating until the day she died. I brought her to the vet and the vet tried everything she could to save her, but none worked.

One of the hets, T, started to show symptoms of kidney failure around 10th day in my care. It was swollen around the neck and upper limbs. I will post the picture later. Again, though I am aware from the forum that nothing can be done about it, I still brought it to the vet, who gave him series of diuretic injections. The swollen was gone for about a week but then came back. He died yesterday morning.

Right now I'm trying my best to have the rest survived. But their growth really makes me worried. I have had them for 2 months but they barely grows. I've attached my growth note for you guys to see. I'm supposed to weigh them every 4 days, but can't help to weigh them everyday.

E was 54 now 57 (*)
L 37 now 56
C 42 now 49 (*)
G 35 now 47
K 41 now 55
N 46 now 75
R 32 now 34 (*)

* means I am watching them closely, they could be the next time bomb.

I have contacted the breeder to let him know the hatchlings are doing, and he needs to change the way he raises his hatchlings. I also asked for some refund on some (not all) of the hatchlings. He then completely blamed my care. This is what he said about coir, "They use this fiber to make door mats and floor mats for cars, houses and such because it such a coarse material. Again not something you should be using for your substrate on baby tortoises. Because, if you don't think the babies will eat it, you are mistaken. It's a slow process but in time the will ingest minute particles of the coir and they will stop eating in time."

He kept repeating that 0 (zero) died in his care. Though after some time arguing, he admitted that 1 died in his care. He said that his other hatchlings are doing just fine. And so are older ones.

Oh and one more. When I just received my babies (unaware of the problem yet), I asked him the hatch date and he said it was around June 2016 and I received them November 20, 2016. Please refer to their weight above. So he sent me 5 months old hatchlings with the above weight. So much for raising them the right way.

Anyway... Just to let you guys know my story. If anyone is interested in buying albino sulcata, you can PM me. And I will be more than happy to point you away from this breeder's direction

IMG_0783.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Anyway... Just to let you guys know my story. If anyone is interested in buying albino sulcata, you can PM me. And I will be more than happy to point you away from this breeder's direction
Thank you for a very complete, informative thread I'm so sorry for your losses and hope it didn't bring undue hardship on you to post it.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Gosh, i'm so sorry for what happen. Thank you for your valuable time willing to share this to us. Though i have questions, fool newbie advises, and statement to make. I know this is hard to discuss for you right now. As @Tom had stated, once the damage was done, very little we can done.
(i am itchy to type more than usual and this tends to make my english annoying to read, please be patience.)
1. I don't ask for breeder information, maybe leave it to PM only. But i assume he is not tfo member? I assume if he is indeed tfo's member, he should have right knowledge about caring the tortoise. Since he is not the member, i suggest you should asked for experience members here about the breeder's reputation before purchased them because they know a lot. You are buying a herd there. Nothing can be reverse, maybe this can be as further advise.
2. Coir! What the heck!
Maybe there had been misunderstanding between you and the breeder. I believe the breeder think that you use coco fiber which is, yes, use as what he stated. But i had seen your post before. I think you use coco coir which means soil-like coconut based. I use it too, @Speedy-1 use it too, @Maro2Bear use it too, they are some sulcata keeper come into my mind. We raise a nice happy sully from baby. Ok i am newbie, too soon to make this statement, but they can prove it more than me. I believe @Tom or @Yvonne stated before, even coco fiber was eaten, as long as the tort is not eating it as food, it is harmless, coir is absolutely super safe. I am refering to non chemical coir.
3. I think you and the breeder have a misunderstanding regarding of the substrate you use? Maybe he was blaming you for using fiber, but you use coir. Try to refer him to here. Maybe all of this can be a happy ending. He learns right care, and you have a bit of refund for the symbol of apology from him?

Again i'm so sorry for what happen, hope this can be sort out as soon as possible.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Wow! I'm so sorry for your losses.

I got a little Indian star baby from a pet shop (big no no, I know) but I couldn't leave him there. He cost over £250 and I bought him home and put him in a nice humid place.

Like yours, He didn't eat and didn't move that much and 4 days after I got him I found him upside down in his water dish (a terracotta saucer). I don't believe that was the only reason he died, it was strange... He wasn't right and didn't eat properly. He also didn't seem like he could walk properly And he was ALWAYS thirsty. Less than a week after I got him he was dead. It's awful how when a tortoise isn't started right that no matter how good your care is, sometimes you just can't save them :(

I hope your renaming babies pull through

BILBO-03

I'm so sorry this is terrible:( hopefully the other ones will make it ! Some have had some good weight gains it looks like.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be helpful to put this under "Vendor Reviews" and name the seller. It you agree, I'll move it for you, however, in that section we don't allow other posts except from folks who have experience with that vendor.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Such a terrible shame. Thanks for posting and informing us about this.

Any of the coco coir I've ever used would make for a very messy door mat… I don't know how a person could make a statement like that when there are literally hundreds of people on this very forum raising a variety of species on coir and all of them have health thriving tortoises. I have seen coir get eaten one time, and the babies that were eating it were infected with a horrible disease. I've raised hundreds of babies on coir without one issue. I now use fine grade orchid bark for baby sulcatas because it is less messy for them, but I still use coir for baby russians, CDTs and several other species.

Bee62

Germany
Oh, I`m really sorry for your losses. It hurts me to read what happend to your little babies. I know it is hard to see them die and can do absolutely nothing.
It`s a shame how less knowledege some breeders of sulcata tortoises have.
My babies are from such a breeder too. He said that his adult tortoises only get 2 or three times a week water ! And that they have no water to bath in. And the hatchlings are kept dry.
At that time I did not know that this is the wrong way. But I found this forum and read and read and read ......
And it seemed that I have luck: My babies where two months old when I got them. I soak them every day, sprinkel them and the enclosure with a flower sprayer und keep the temps and the humidity high. They are active, healthy und eat and grow.
I think ( and I hope ) I got them early enough that they got no harm from the dry beginning.
If I done things like the breeder told me, mayby my babies where already sick or dead.

Your babies gain very less in weight. They are time bombs as you suggested. But it is not your fault. It`s nonsense what your breeder told you. And I don`t believe that only your babies died. You do the best for them.
You are very courageous to write here in this forum what happens to your little torts. But I repeat it: It is not your mistake.
I am sorry that you make such bad experience with your babies. But please keep us informed about the development of them.

Sabine

Taco*mom

Thank you for a very complete, informative thread I'm so sorry for your losses and hope it didn't bring undue hardship on you to post it.

Thank you. It was very hard for me to post this. I feel like I am grieving every single day. Initially, I really wanted to share and update these hatchlings growth like a few members here. But then these problem came. It was too hard to watch them dying while updating their progress in the forum.

Taco*mom

Wow! I'm so sorry for your losses.

I got a little Indian star baby from a pet shop (big no no, I know) but I couldn't leave him there. He cost over £250 and I bought him home and put him in a nice humid place.

Like yours, He didn't eat and didn't move that much and 4 days after I got him I found him upside down in his water dish (a terracotta saucer). I don't believe that was the only reason he died, it was strange... He wasn't right and didn't eat properly. He also didn't seem like he could walk properly And he was ALWAYS thirsty. Less than a week after I got him he was dead. It's awful how when a tortoise isn't started right that no matter how good your care is, sometimes you just can't save them :(

I hope your renaming babies pull through

Thank you for sharing. Funny you should mention that yours was always thirsty. M was also like that. I even have the video of him drinking from his water dish. I searched the forum, turns out not everyone has seen their tortoise drank. I believe not even @Tom, at the time he replied to the thread. Not sure if he has seen his tortoises drank after.

Taco*mom

I'm so sorry this is terrible:( hopefully the other ones will make it ! Some have had some good weight gains it looks like.
Thank you Bilbo. Congratulation and good luck with your Leo. You finally got your own tortoises, huh! You must be spoiling it too much now. :p

Taco*mom

It might be helpful to put this under "Vendor Reviews" and name the seller. It you agree, I'll move it for you, however, in that section we don't allow other posts except from folks who have experience with that vendor.

Thanks Yvonne, I will consider this. For now, to my surprise, I kinda like reading other people's similar stories.

Taco*mom

Such a terrible shame. Thanks for posting and informing us about this.

Any of the coco coir I've ever used would make for a very messy door mat… I don't know how a person could make a statement like that when there are literally hundreds of people on this very forum raising a variety of species on coir and all of them have health thriving tortoises. I have seen coir get eaten one time, and the babies that were eating it were infected with a horrible disease. I've raised hundreds of babies on coir without one issue. I now use fine grade orchid bark for baby sulcatas because it is less messy for them, but I still use coir for baby russians, CDTs and several other species.

Thanks Tom. Imho, your HFS thread should not be in debatable section. It needs to be where other important threads like how to raise your baby sulcata, etc.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Thank you for sharing. Funny you should mention that yours was always thirsty. M was also like that. I even have the video of him drinking from his water dish. I searched the forum, turns out not everyone has seen their tortoise drank. I believe not even @Tom, at the time he replied to the thread. Not sure if he has seen his tortoises drank after.
I may be misinterpreting your statement, but I have seen Charlie (17 year old sulcata) drink many times. Probably not when he was a baby, but he was getting soaked then. Once I moved him outside, he had his head dipped in the dog's water dish plenty of times. Now he has a bigger dish of his own. He can drain it at one sitting.

I'm so sorry for your losses. Are you going to be doing anything to recover your financial loss?

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
My little guy was constantly thirsty. He would go to the bowl multiple times a day and drink for minutes at a time.My hermanns tortoise drinks occasionally but nothing like the Indian star. Maybe it was something to do with the dryness that they had experienced before.

Taco*mom

Oh, I`m really sorry for your losses. It hurts me to read what happend to your little babies. I know it is hard to see them die and can do absolutely nothing.
It`s a shame how less knowledege some breeders of sulcata tortoises have.
My babies are from such a breeder too. He said that his adult tortoises only get 2 or three times a week water ! And that they have no water to bath in. And the hatchlings are kept dry.
At that time I did not know that this is the wrong way. But I found this forum and read and read and read ......
And it seemed that I have luck: My babies where two months old when I got them. I soak them every day, sprinkel them and the enclosure with a flower sprayer und keep the temps and the humidity high. They are active, healthy und eat and grow.
I think ( and I hope ) I got them early enough that they got no harm from the dry beginning.
If I done things like the breeder told me, mayby my babies where already sick or dead.

Your babies gain very less in weight. They are time bombs as you suggested. But it is not your fault. It`s nonsense what your breeder told you. And I don`t believe that only your babies died. You do the best for them.
You are very courageous to write here in this forum what happens to your little torts. But I repeat it: It is not your mistake.
I am sorry that you make such bad experience with your babies. But please keep us informed about the development of them.

Sabine
Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to hear that your babies are ok. Your breeder is exactly like my breeder. They are just like how Tom describes in his HFS thread. Hay substrate, no water bowl, claim to soak them 2 or 3 times a week and very high basking spot temperature. I hope these people will realize their mistake one day.

Taco*mom

Gosh, i'm so sorry for what happen. Thank you for your valuable time willing to share this to us. Though i have questions, fool newbie advises, and statement to make. I know this is hard to discuss for you right now. As @Tom had stated, once the damage was done, very little we can done.
(i am itchy to type more than usual and this tends to make my english annoying to read, please be patience.)
1. I don't ask for breeder information, maybe leave it to PM only. But i assume he is not tfo member? I assume if he is indeed tfo's member, he should have right knowledge about caring the tortoise. Since he is not the member, i suggest you should asked for experience members here about the breeder's reputation before purchased them because they know a lot. You are buying a herd there. Nothing can be reverse, maybe this can be as further advise.
2. Coir! What the heck!
Maybe there had been misunderstanding between you and the breeder. I believe the breeder think that you use coco fiber which is, yes, use as what he stated. But i had seen your post before. I think you use coco coir which means soil-like coconut based. I use it too, @Speedy-1 use it too, @Maro2Bear use it too, they are some sulcata keeper come into my mind. We raise a nice happy sully from baby. Ok i am newbie, too soon to make this statement, but they can prove it more than me. I believe @Tom or @Yvonne stated before, even coco fiber was eaten, as long as the tort is not eating it as food, it is harmless, coir is absolutely super safe. I am refering to non chemical coir.
3. I think you and the breeder have a misunderstanding regarding of the substrate you use? Maybe he was blaming you for using fiber, but you use coir. Try to refer him to here. Maybe all of this can be a happy ending. He learns right care, and you have a bit of refund for the symbol of apology from him?

Again i'm so sorry for what happen, hope this can be sort out as soon as possible.

As always, yours is the hardest one to reply :D
1. This breeder is a member of this forum. Well, he mostly advertise his hatchlings here, did not contribute much.

2. Yes, I use the coco coir, soil-like, substrate. Mixed it well with water, humidity and temperature never drops below 80.

3. I have given a picture of my enclosure to the breeder. He knows I am talking about the coir, not the fiber. Yet he chose to reply that way. Like @saginawhxc and tom said, these people think there's nothing wrong with how they raise their hatchlings. They will probably stay like this until the end of times.

Taco*mom

I may be misinterpreting your statement, but I have seen Charlie (17 year old sulcata) drink many times. Probably not when he was a baby, but he was getting soaked then. Once I moved him outside, he had his head dipped in the dog's water dish plenty of times. Now he has a bigger dish of his own. He can drain it at one sitting.

I'm so sorry for your losses. Are you going to be doing anything to recover your financial loss?

Sorry, you are right. I didn't realize I was actually reading a very old post, back in 2012. And I mistakenly saw someone else's post as @Tom 's.
Sorry for the confusion.

Oh and I love your picture of Big Charlie pacing. I hope one day I may have a tortoise who grows big and old like yours.

As far as my financial losses, I don't think there's anything that could be done. I have asked for some of my money back and got turned down. I don't live in the US unfortunately.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Thank you for sharing this. I'm sure it was hard to do, but talking about things like this sheds a spotlight on just how important it is that hatchlings are started and raised properly.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Do you have other tortoises or was this your first experience with them?