AL my tortoise

Anette

Location (City and/or State)
Apache Junction
Hi, I am wondering if anyone could give me advice. My tortoise isn't eating the Teff Hay I bought, I even tried watering it to see if that's the reason, is it because he's full or not like it? He does eat my grass and lettuce I give him, but I also feel that's not enough food. Is he not eating because he doesn't think teff is food or because he finds plenty grazing? (2.5 foot salcata, 1/4 acre yard, Phoenix az)

Thanks,
Anette

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I am wondering if anyone could give me advice. My tortoise isn't eating the Teff Hay I bought, I even tried watering it to see if that's the reason, is it because he's full or not like it? He does eat my grass and lettuce I give him, but I also feel that's not enough food. Is he not eating because he doesn't think teff is food or because he finds plenty grazing? (2.5 foot salcata, 1/4 acre yard, Phoenix az)

Thanks,
Anette
Teff is not the best. How long have you been offering hay? Is this something new, or has your tortoise already been introduced to hay and usually eats it?

Anette

Apache Junction
Teff is not the best. How long have you been offering hay? Is this something new, or has your tortoise already been introduced to hay and usually eats it?
There was a long break, months? where we thought there was plenty of forage after we got him. Previous owner fed Timothy. Was going to buy orchard but there wasn't any.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
What about fresh vegetables? Share your tortoise species to get help with best diet. Diet. Light. Heat. Hydration, substrate and environment are very important for good shell growth and overall health.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There was a long break, months? where we thought there was plenty of forage after we got him. Previous owner fed Timothy. Was going to buy orchard but there wasn't any.
Any new food will take time to introduce. To introduce hay I feed them all their other food on a bed of hay. I like to use large plastic fast food trays, or something similar, to keep the food off the ground. Simultaneously, grab a handful of the hay and chop it up finely with scissors. Soak the chopped hay in water for an hour or two. Mix the soaked chopped hay in with the tortoises favorite greens each day. Over time, you can add more and more of the new hay.

Also look for lavatera, hibiscus, grape and mulberry leaves to feed him. Gazania flowers, and spineless opuntia are abundant in your area too. If you can find a good source of opuntia nearby, you can buy it at any Mexican grocery store. Asian stores often stock it too. The wet opuntia is a good offset for the dry hay.