Aging a tortoise..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kj_benavidez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Leandro, California
Hi! So I just bought a Greek Tortoise from Petco yesterday, I was planning on buying from a breeder but saw this little guy and couldnt resist, plus he looks very healthy just needed a good soak. I measured him and hes about 5" so I just wanted to know if anyone had any guesses on how old he might be? hes really not that big, at first I didnt even think he was gonna be 5", he can fit comfortably on my hand. But what do you guys think? Im thinking he maybe around 3-6 years old? but idk, anyone have any other thoughts? Since hes not full grown which is 8-9" I just figured he might be still on the young side when it comes to age.

The picture I included is kinda zoomed in on him.

Attachments

• 941233_10201285212478569_5598395_n.jpg
    941233_10201285212478569_5598395_n.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 72

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Post a pic of the underside. I'm gunna guess a minimum of 5 years old.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We cannot be entirely sure. Guessed accurate to 5 years either side at best. Growth rate is very variable dependent on diet and conditions throughout its life

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Also, it is wild caught, so having a fecal test done would be a good idea. Most pet store tortoises are wild caught and have parasites. I would just tell petco you think the tortoise has worms and see if they have a vet that will do. A fecal test. Petco should cover the expenses as long as u do it win their policy time frame.

kj_benavidez

5 Year Member
San Leandro, California
theelectraco said:
Also, it is wild caught, so having a fecal test done would be a good idea. Most pet store tortoises are wild caught and have parasites. I would just tell petco you think the tortoise has worms and see if they have a vet that will do. A fecal test. Petco should cover the expenses as long as u do it win their policy time frame.

I was thinking the same thing (wondering if he actually had worms or parasites) but I was thinking, I live in Hawaii, and in order to import animals here they have to be quarantined and seen by a vet so wouldnt they still do that for Petcos imports? cause i mean hawaii has strict laws when it comes to animal importing and the whole quarantine thing. what do you think? Do you think all the animals imported into Hawaii have already been checked for parasites?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Honestly, no. They may have been quarantined, but Im doubtful of that...and if they were they may not have shown symptoms of having parasites at the time.

kj_benavidez

5 Year Member
San Leandro, California
theelectraco said:
Honestly, no. They may have been quarantined, but I, doubtful of that...and if they were they may not have shown symptoms of having parasites at the time.

Is there a way to get rid of parasites if the tortoise has them? and thanks for the info I really do appreciate it! im going to post some pictures right now

theelectraco

5 Year Member
A vet will need to prescribe Panacur for deworming, after positive results from a fecal test. Keep soaking and check the poops.

kj_benavidez

5 Year Member
San Leandro, California
Okay so heres some pictures of my little guy/girl?

kj_benavidez said:

kj_benavidez said:

kj_benavidez said:

kj_benavidez said:

kj_benavidez said:

kj_benavidez said:

kj_benavidez said:

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

theelectraco said:
A vet will need to prescribe Panacur for deworming, after positive results from a fecal test. Keep soaking and check the poops.

Okay thank you!

Heres some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0553.JPG
    IMG_0553.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0551.JPG
    IMG_0551.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0551.JPG
    IMG_0551.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Congrats on your new friend. I got 2 from Petsmart last year and they scared me at first, they were really freaked out and skittish and would not eat from their crazy journey to the store, but now they are the best and come to me for food. Yay. Be sure to do soaks, with baby food or bird vitamins to hydrate him or her, and especially so if you get it dewormed chemically because it is rather harsh stuff. Be sure the vet does a fecal first to be sure and doesn't just do the panacur for the sake of it. I have soaked mine in parsley water/tea because I was told it would help deworm naturally along with ground up raw unsalted pepitas/pumpkin seeds sprinkled on their food once a week. So far, so good as a preventative since my two were cleared for worms by my vet when I got them. Congrats on being a new Greek geek, lol. :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
kj_benavidez said:
Hi! So I just bought a Greek Tortoise from Petco yesterday, I was planning on buying from a breeder but saw this little guy and couldnt resist, plus he looks very healthy just needed a good soak. I measured him and hes about 5" so I just wanted to know if anyone had any guesses on how old he might be? hes really not that big, at first I didnt even think he was gonna be 5", he can fit comfortably on my hand. But what do you guys think? Im thinking he maybe around 3-6 years old? but idk, anyone have any other thoughts? Since hes not full grown which is 8-9" I just figured he might be still on the young side when it comes to age.

Being a Middle Eastern subspecies he is nearly full grown. He will never reach 8-9". At 7" he'd be exceptionally large. He's probably going to be closer to 6" maximum, if that. Age wise, being wild caught, which grow at a slower normal rate than do captive borns, he's probably closer to 8-12 old. But there is no way to know for certain. 8-12 years old is still on the young side considering he could conceiviably live to be 50+ in the wild.

kj_benavidez

5 Year Member
San Leandro, California
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Congrats on your new friend. I got 2 from Petsmart last year and they scared me at first, they were really freaked out and skittish and would not eat from their crazy journey to the store, but now they are the best and come to me for food. Yay. Be sure to do soaks, with baby food or bird vitamins to hydrate him or her, and especially so if you get it dewormed chemically because it is rather harsh stuff. Be sure the vet does a fecal first to be sure and doesn't just do the panacur for the sake of it. I have soaked mine in parsley water/tea because I was told it would help deworm naturally along with ground up raw unsalted pepitas/pumpkin seeds sprinkled on their food once a week. So far, so good as a preventative since my two were cleared for worms by my vet when I got them. Congrats on being a new Greek geek, lol. :)

Thank you for the info! and yes I will deffinently do Soaks! and also those natural deworming methods, along with going to the vet :) I like that, Greek Geek! :D LOL

GBtortoises said:
kj_benavidez said:

Being a Middle Eastern subspecies he is nearly full grown. He will never reach 8-9". At 7" he'd be exceptionally large. He's probably going to be closer to 6" maximum, if that. Age wise, being wild caught, which grow at a slower normal rate than do captive borns, he's probably closer to 8-12 old. But there is no way to know for certain. 8-12 years old is still on the young side considering he could conceiviably live to be 50+ in the wild.

Oh wow, okay thank you for the info I really appreciate it! I didnt know that at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.