aggressive tortoise

leanneb85

5 Year Member
My Russian tortoise has become a little aggressive lately if I am putting food down or cleaning his enclosure he runs at me and tries to bite my hand I don't hand feed him and he doesn't attack me when hes out of his enclosure. Is this a territorial thing? He's only 18 months old so thought it would be a little early to be displaying this kind of behaviour lol.

leanneb85

5 Year Member
I only hand fed him a couple of times when I first had him to try and assure him I wasn't the enemy lol. I haven't hand fed him in months and he never bit me then . So just wondering why he start doing this now.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
This doesn't sound like a hand feeding problem, it sounds like a russian tortoise problem. LOL.
Sorry for laughing but stories like this do make me smile. :) So he attacks you when he is in his indoor enclosure, but not outside right? e prob. just realizrd he is a male, and is simply defending his territory. Will it stop perhaps, they usually realize sooner or later you are not a threat, or challenger.

leanneb85

5 Year Member
I'm guessing he's a male I'm still unsure as he's so small. Hopefully it's just a phase for now. Then I'll have more aggression to look forward to when he reaches adulthood lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just keep your hand out of his way. Problem solved.

I think its really cool that you have such a bold, fearless, outgoing young tortoise. You can send him to me if you don't like this behavior. I think its great.

leanneb85

5 Year Member
yes he is very bold Lol. It's nice he feels comfortable enough to try and attack me I suppose. He just did it again when I tried to dampen his Substate Cheeky little thing.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
I think that's a good sign that he's comfortable in his domain. You know, he doesn't want out, he wants you out! Better than the other way around!

leanneb85

5 Year Member
yes he's very much in charge. He let's me know when he doesn't want to be bothered thats why I cherish every moment he comes over for a stroke as those times are so rare lol

Tyanna

Wisconsin
My Russian male does this every time I put food onto his feeding slate. He tries ramming my hand and rushes on top of the food. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Stories like this, is why I love Russians, I also would be willing to take him, if the need ever arises. He would prob. be a good breeder. :)