Aggressive sulcata towards my son? Help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That is a nice looking male. Is that a VitaShell sheen I see?

I'd love to see the area and the barriers. I sure hope this works out and you are able to keep your big man.

About the vet. Your experience is not uncommon. Most vets know very little about tortoises, and yours clearly doesn't know sulcatas. You are not alone. When I was a child I had a box turtle. We bought it as a male and I named it "Tommy". Tommy Turtle. It quickly got sick due to totally improper care and we took it to the vet. The vet pronounced it female and told us that the pet shop was wrong and that lettuce and tomatoes were not the right diet. In fact Mighty Dog Canned Dog Food was the right diet. It also needed kitty litter instead of aquarium gravel, and it needed a hot rock. Despite of of this wonderful advice the poor thing survived and got healthy. We renamed her Thomasina. About two years later Thomasina pooped her guts out. We rushed to another different vet and all her guts were back in. Apparently, Thomasina really was Tommy after all and had just gotten a bit excited. The point is that vets aren't perfect. They are just people and they don't all know everything.

Hillygirl

Bonham Tx
I grew up around bulls and all kinds of dangerous animals. We had guard geese that we had to run from in the yard or they would attack. I lived and I'm all the better for it. I think a little seperation is good but I would keep introducing your son. When you feed him her whatever carry your son to the fence and have him throw some treats over. This isn't expert turtle advice I've just dealt with several different species of aggressive animals and being the one to provide what they want and need eventually assosiates your son with good things. I'm a wildlife rehabber too so this has worked with wild animals too. Patience and baby steps are the best way to go. Good luck and I wouldn't think twice about throwing my kid in with mine either so don't worry about it. Everyone is different

rbeard09

The white diaper thing was what I thought at first and then I thought the tortoise was begging for food but the tort has a problem no matter what my son is in and has left perfectly good grape leaves to chase us I hope that the aggression is a phase for my transgender tortoise and that he can relax about the barrier soon. Today was a bit better. I am committed to this tortoise and I hope I can keep the tortoise and my son happy and healthy.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think a little seperation is good but I would keep introducing your son. When you feed him her whatever carry your son to the fence and have him throw some treats over.

Brilliant, the feel good association (of course no guarantee, but some get a way time offered....for you, not your toddler--not for a few years, by then your son will be able to out move the tort)...plus the association as part of you...all good stuff and hurts nothing...

I hope that the aggression is a phase for my transgender tortoise

Okay so that one made me laugh out loud...we humans are so easily amused sometimes...teehheee...what would happen if you carry your boy out buck naked...and cleaned up from any male urine smell...what happens then...okay, so now I am simply trying completely primal things...so please do not take offense..also, please do not think I mean to send the poor guy out in his bday suit to face the tort....I don't mean that at all...I of course mean in the safety of the Momma....:D

9see

10 Year Member!
Arizona
"Transgender" tortoise made me LOL too ;op

rbeard09

image.jpg UPDATE!!! If anyone is interested. Now that my son is walking Extremely well my Tony (formally know as Tortalina ) the tortoise couldn't care less about him. I never would have guessed it was the crawling human that would have upset him so much but crazier things can happen. Thank you for all the advice when I was in a panic a few months ago.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Glad things worked out.

Now watch out for those brightly colored toes. Tortoises are attracted to, and sometimes bite, bright colors. Especially reds and yellows.

leopard777

5 Year Member
hmmm just yesterday my sulcata hatchling was trying to eat off a green image on my handphone :D

the baby socks might remind him of a flower colouration ? Nom Nom....