Aggressive behavior?

jenmadere

5 Year Member
My fiancé and I brought home our Sulcata tortoise (Lucy) in July of 2013. When we bought her, the pet store told us she was around 4-5 months old. Lately, Lucy has shown signs of aggressive behavior I think. Not towards me or my fiancé, but she will ram her head into her water bowl. At first I thought she was only trying to move it out of the way, but then I noticed her doing it by any area where she couldn't get to. Is this aggressive behavior? Or is she basically just trying to move the object out of the way? ImageUploadedByTortForum1384820819.125292.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats why I named my little one Dozer. Ha ha If he don't like it there he will move it here . If it does not ram you I would not wary to much about it . But she my be telling you she needs a bigger home .

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Is it only the water dish? Once it's moved out of her way, does she ignore it or keep "" it up? So far to me it sounds like it could be either or both. Sulcatas tend to not believe in going around something, but rather through it. I am tending toward believing it is more this type of behavior at this point given her young age.

jenmadere

5 Year Member
Well we moved her water bowl to the middle to give her room to walk around it if she wants. Hopefully that helps, she definitely has her own personality. Some days she's lazy and we joke that she got it from us, but other days she's a ball of energy.

Yes @jacqui I've noticed it's only when she wants to get around something like her water bowl.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That little face looks mad . She has a get out of my way thing about her . She reminds me of that old lady form through mamma from the train . You remember that move ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

They don't normally start to show aggression until they get to be sexually mature.