Aggression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannikabd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston Texas
Hi everyone so I got 2 Russian tortoises (one male and one female) over the weekend, and I've just been told that they will get aggressive once they settle in. I haven't seen any signs of aggression yet, but I was wondering what do y'all do whenever y'all have more than one tortoise?
Is there any way to keep them from being aggressive?
What do I do to when they do become aggressive (other that the obvious and separate them)
The only issue I've had with my tortoises is that the male wolfs down the food before the female can get some, so I feed her separately..
But other than that, they're both very sweet :)

Sean Lee, my Russian Tortoise[TURTLE][TWO HEARTS]

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have 4. 1 male and 3 females.

The male does make his rounds with the girls but having 3 of them gives them each "breaks" as he rotates who he pursues. They all live together outside full time. Their pen is 20 feet long and 6 feet wide. It borders on being too small IMO. They will have a larger space in the future.

My group maintains peace because
1- the girls out number the guy
2- their pen is large, heavily planted and full of trees, bushes, large rocks to make many different areas for retreat within the enclosure
3- they live outside (makes a difference I think)

For the most part the male doesn't bother the girls unless it's spring or I water. Watering gets him "active". The outward signs the male shows is ramming the girls shell. Biting their face and biting their legs. Your male will do this too. Guaranteed. It's how he says "lets do it". If you only have the 1 girl, well, poor girl. He could literally kill her...
All my torts eat well, drink often, bask and roam with normal behavior. Sometimes they dash off when they see him coming. Their home offers plenty of space and cover to escape to.
Can you provide escape for your girl when the time comes?

And this is only breeding behavior! I haven't even addressed bullying and dominance....

Sent from my TFOapp

pappabear1973

5 Year Member
Heather had basically covered it. You will see this mostly from the male when he wants some thing. In groups you may see some of these signs as they try to show who is dominant from my reading. But primarily you only see this form of action occasionally from the mail. Make sure the girl has places to run to and hide.if you see it and you can move her to a hiding spot, that can help. Thanks.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Re: RE: Aggression

pappabear1973 said:
Heather had basically covered it. You will see this mostly from the male when he wants some thing. In groups you may see some of these signs as they try to show who is dominant from my reading. But primarily you only see this form of action occasionally from the mail. Make sure the girl has places to run to and hide.if you see it and you can move her to a hiding spot, that can help. Thanks.

Forgive me for my lameness that follows, but...

When I think of angry mail, I instantly think of Harry Potter.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378449626090.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378449626090.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 66

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
There is no way to change their nature. Russians are naturally an agressive species. It is extremely rare that a healthy russian that is comfortable in its environment will get along peacefully with another tort of any size species or gender. My male russian tries to bully the sulcata!

Dannikabd

5 Year Member
Houston Texas
Oh great.. What do y'all mean by "escape"?
If I see it ill definitely desperate them [PENSIVE FACE]

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Dannikabd said:
Oh great.. What do y'all mean by "escape"?
If I see it ill definitely desperate them

Escape, retreat, get away from the harassment, move to another location away from the bully..etc.

If they share an enclosure it should be so big and planted that they can each cruise around and not even see each other.

I saw some of your pics on another thread. You have a huge backyard! I strongly encourage you to build an outside pen. Make it 40feet long and 5 feet wide. Then divide it down the middle so each has a space of 20x5. You can make the divider removable for occasionally letting them roam together.
Let the grass grow really long and have lots of plants in each pen. You will have the happiest Russians if you do this. :D I could go on and on...I love designing enclosures :D

Sent from my TFOapp

Dannikabd

5 Year Member
Houston Texas
I'm defiantly building one! Me and my dad are designing it:) (my dad is way more obsessed with my tortoise than I am!
I know they'll love their outside enclosure :)
I feel like being outside would take some aggressive energy away!:)

JJ_BOY

5 Year Member
I have two Russians. A female and a male and I've heard that they may fight but nothing has happened between my tortoises

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

JJ_BOY said:
I have two Russians. A female and a male and I've heard that they may fight but nothing has happened between my tortoises

How long have they been together??..maybe the day is yet to come.
Lets just say you luck out and they never have visible dominance/aggression issues. What are you going to do when it's mating season? Will you allow the male to mate her constantly and offer her no relief or escape?

Sent from my TFOapp

Dannikabd

5 Year Member
Houston Texas
They've been together since Sunday! I'm making a big outdoor enclosure for mating season! I've never had a tortoise before so these are my first ones lol I'm only 16, and ilove them both very much. I want what's best for them!
So spring is mating season, correct?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Outside is great, always better than the inside. It is neat that your Dad likes your tortoises too!

Yes, Spring is mating season, but bullying can go on year round. Sometimes they won't do it at first, but over the months, or even years, it will develop.
In the wild, they cover acres, so have plenty of change to get away. We are forcing them into smaller enclosures.

Generally having one male and one female, even outside, isn't a good idea in the long run, unless you get VERY lucky, and they both thrive.

Dannikabd

5 Year Member
Houston Texas
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378520963.029423.jpg oh yes, my family (mom and sister too) all love our rt! Dad calls my male rt a party boy ( because he's so full of personality) haha we all want what's best for him and so we are playing to have a outstanding outdoor enclosure!
Sounds like I'm going to need to invest in another aquarium[PENSIVE FACE] I want big mama to be happy! Not stressed out and scared!

Sean Lee, and Big mama my Russian Tortoises[TURTLE][TWO HEARTS]

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Save your $$, don't buy another aquarium.

Build your outside pen. In TX you can let them live outside every day and just bring them inside at night to sleep (if you want to. living outside full time might be an option).

Buy a $5 or $10 rubbermaid tote from the store and use that as the extra sleeping quarters.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
JJ_BOY said:

Not yet at least. Those little Russian males are agro. And it happens like this: bam!

Dannikabd

5 Year Member
Houston Texas
Team Gomberg said:
Save your $$, don't buy another aquarium.

Build your outside pen. In TX you can let them live outside every day and just bring them inside at night to sleep (if you want to. living outside full time might be an option).

Buy a $5 or $10 rubbermaid tote from the store and use that as the extra sleeping quarters.
That's a great idea! Ill have to do that! We should be building tonight [WHITE SMILING FACE][WHITE SMILING FACE][WHITE SMILING FACE][WHITE SMILING FACE]

Sean Lee, and Big mama my Russian Tortoises[TURTLE][TWO HEARTS]

Status
Not open for further replies.