Aggression.

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I think I did something terribly wrong. I introduced my female to my male, and she took a bite at his face. This is the aggression talked about commonly in Russians, isn't it? Now I'm scared once summer comes they won't get a long, and I won't be able to supervise once I put them in an outdoor enclosure. (along with 2 more females)

I've never dealt with different sexes being put together, I'm trying to learn what I can.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I haven't had any experience in this so you can take this for what it's worth. but I bet things will be fine if you put three females and one mail together. at least much better than one male and one female, she was probably just trying to tell him to back off.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
He wanted nothing to do with her, and she was the one seeking him out, so I wasn't sure if she still was trying to tell him to back off or what. Thanks for your input! I hope with bigger space and more females they can "get along". I don't plan on keeping them together without more females. Just introducing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She has claimed the territory. Once they go outside, it starts as neutral territory and they should get along ok.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
She has claimed the territory. Once they go outside, it starts as neutral territory and they should get along ok.

Thanks Yvonne. Since I put her in a different enclosure as the one she lives in, I was wondering if that was her defense being in territory she's not familiar with.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Did you check out those ones in Spokane?

Yes, finances and space are not where I want them to be in order to give the best care to adoptees! This Summer with be perfect to adopt!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yes, finances and space are not where I want them to be in order to give the best care to adoptees! This Summer with be perfect to adopt!
Hopefully they will still be available. you can always do the 50 gallon tote thing for winter if you have to. One in each one :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome to the wonderful world of russian tortoises! :)

The only way to see if they are going to get along is to put them together and see what happens. Hopefully nobody loses an eye or gets to badly damaged. Putting them all out together in a large well planted outdoor enclosure will usually help. There is enough distraction and movement from other tortoises and the great outdoors to occupy their minds with things other than killing any other tortoise in sight. Sometimes they just won't get a long no matter what you do. Introducing them in spring, when hormones are at their highest, is not usually a good idea. On the other hand that is when the smaller males will feel most dominant and that might beat the females into submission, so to speak. Mixing russians is always dicey. Heck normal breeding activities for them can get pretty rough sometimes.

puffy137

Sorry to be an idiot,:) but has it ever been possible to breed different species together, say a Russian with a Greek to make them more docile , like you can do with dogs. Not that I am thinking of trying , just curious.:D

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Sorry to be an idiot,:) but has it ever been possible to breed different species together, say a Russian with a Greek to make them more docile , like you can do with dogs. Not that I am thinking of trying , just curious.:D
That is an interesting idea. But I would bet that reptiles take a little bit longer to see "personality trait" changes in a breeding program. I am not totally familiar with Greek or Herman tortoises but I think they can be aggressive also. And I would think it would be even harder to change the breeding and meeting behaviors. I would be interested to know what the more experienced tortoise breeders on the forum think about that

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

There has been some hybridization, but it is not like mixed breed domestic dogs. Hybridization should be strongly discouraged among captive tortoises.

Besides that, Greek males can be some of the most aggressive little monsters on the planet.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
There has been some hybridization, but it is not like mixed breed domestic dogs. Hybridization should be strongly discouraged among captive tortoises.

Besides that, Greek males can be some of the most aggressive little monsters on the planet.
What do you think about breeding a less aggressive toward us with another less aggressive toward us to get less aggressive offspring? is that even feasible? not mixing breeds but the same breed just less aggressive individuals in that breed.

puffy137

Libel & slander , Ceasar will be most offended , the only aggression he has ever shown is in his amorous affair with his paramour/ paramouress,Reeva. There is still a question mark about his/her sex. If one ignores the other they have fun chasing, but they are oblivious to all the other torts.

puffy137

Perhaps my herd are an exception to the rule , seeing they are all related & have been together since hatching. A stranger in their midst might bring out their aggressive side. Up till now all is peaceful & quiet. The temp has dropped to about 20*c & all are tucked up snug in their houses. The hatchlings come out at around 11 am to have a feed , then they hide away again till next day.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Perhaps my herd are an exception to the rule , seeing they are all related & have been together since hatching. A stranger in their midst might bring out their aggressive side. Up till now all is peaceful & quiet. The temp has dropped to about 20*c & all are tucked up snug in their houses. The hatchlings come out at around 11 am to have a feed , then they hide away again till next day.
How old are they? I would expect that there would be aggression eventually, I don't think being related matters to a tortoise :)