Age?

Taylor Brynn

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
When I first got my tortoise, I was told he was 4, I got him from petsmart (we all make mistakes...) and I've had him for 6 years. Which means he would be about 10... accept looking through other threads I saw much smaller and younger looking tortoises being aged between 5-7. What do you guys think?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500738638.045233.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500738663.887102.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1500738686.183987.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
NO way of knowing. Looks like a nice, healthy fully mature male, that is still actively growing. Do you hibernate him? Because he is growing so actively, I would guess he is still on the younger side of 20 as a guess. If I had to hazard a more exact GUESS, I'll say 13 years old. But really, I think 12-20 years old is a good estimate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Petsmart didn't know his age when they told you that. I wish they would just be honest with people and tell them they don't know because it is a wild caught import.

It is normal for males of this species to stay small. 5-6" is normal for a full grown adult male.

Taylor Brynn

Washington
NO way of knowing. Looks like a nice, healthy fully mature male, that is still actively growing. Do you hibernate him? Because he is growing so actively, I would guess he is still on the younger side of 20 as a guess. If I had to hazard a more exact GUESS, I'll say 13 years old. But really, I think 12-20 years old is a good estimate.
Nope, I don't hibernate him- I'm not prepared for it but he does sleep 18-20 hours a day in the winter, he only comes out for food and basking.