mlummus

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432237361.146349.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1432237382.713763.jpg

Is there anyway to tell from these pictures about how old my Frankie is?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
No, there is no way to find out the age if you don't know the hatch date. None. The best you can ever do is categorize: hatchling, baby, juvenile, sub-adult, sexually mature adult, old. Even that's iffy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

mlummus

Oh yes I'm aware... I bought the tort (tank and all) yesterday through a pet store. I didn't have a clue about what I needed and I wasn't planning on buying anything but the tort and everything else had just been returned by a previous owner so everything was discounted. I swear my nose has been in my phone reading countless forums on here since yesterday doing as much research as possible. Im working on building an outdoor enclosure for Frankie and hopefully that will be done soon. I asked the guy at the pet store and he had no clue about the age. So far all the info I got from the pet store has been bogus so yeah that's been fun lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh yes I'm aware... I bought the tort (tank and all) yesterday through a pet store. I didn't have a clue about what I needed and I wasn't planning on buying anything but the tort and everything else had just been returned by a previous owner so everything was discounted. I swear my nose has been in my phone reading countless forums on here since yesterday doing as much research as possible. Im working on building an outdoor enclosure for Frankie and hopefully that will be done soon. I asked the guy at the pet store and he had no clue about the age. So far all the info I got from the pet store has been bogus so yeah that's been fun lol.

You are not alone. I don't understand why the pet store folks can't come to this site and learn the same way you are. I swear we spend half our time hear undoing the damage done by bad pet store advice.

Glad you founds us.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you bought the tortoise at a pet store, he's probably 8 to 10 years of age...almost full grown.

mlummus

Oh wow. I definitely would not have guessed that old! How quickly/slowly do torts grow?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because Russian tortoises are a small species, most pet store clerks figure they've got to be babies. Not so. If you think about it, it took your tortoise 8 to 10 years to reach the size he is now - almost full grown.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
From here on out the growth will be slow. Unless you make a tracing of his outline, you won't even notice it. He is sexually mature now.