Age of my Russian tortoise.

Hi, I got a russian tortoise (male) in September, it's my first ever pet and I am loving it. I was told by petsmart sales rep that his age was around 3 years but looking at other photos of russian in this forum I am doubting that he is 3 years old.

I am posting few photos, please let me know if you guys need any specific photo.

Thank youImageUploadedByTortForum1388183452.398375.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388183519.197887.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388183535.898032.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1388183563.114533.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
He most likely isn't three years old. I think most people guesstimate around anywhere between 5-15 years old, but there is no way to absolutely know unless the hatch date is known. But on a side note, his shell looks really good compared to other petsmart/petco tortoises. Also, is that the water dish in the last picture near the bottom?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
He could be 3 years old (although I also suspect that he's older). Definately an adult with that manly tail. Its impossible to tell age with these wild-caught Russians. Could be 3 years old, 5 years old, 15 years old, 30 years old...

hunterk997 said:
He most likely isn't three years old. I think most people guesstimate around anywhere between 5-15 years old, but there is no way to absolutely know unless the hatch date is known. But on a side note, his shell looks really good compared to other petsmart/petco tortoises. Also, is that the water dish in the last picture near the bottom?

Yes, I have three water dish for him around his enclosure and one soaking dish. The one in that picture is mainly to hold a extra water for humidity. ImageUploadedByTortForum1388184840.923920.jpg

This is what I use for water, and I have similar one for his food too. Petsmart ripped me and sold me stuff that was not even meant for him. I am figuring it out now, (they sold me 40gallon glass terrarium) and I think it's too small for him because he gets restless in it.

Please suggest right water dish and an alternative for enclosure. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate make great food and water dishes.

You will most likely need to build a new enclosure. I like to use a sheet of plywood and attach 2x12 side all the way around. Add some 4x4 legs and its good to go.

And don't forget to build a nice big secure outdoor enclosure for fair weather too.

Tom said:
Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate make great food and water dishes.

You will most likely need to build a new enclosure. I like to use a sheet of plywood and attach 2x12 side all the way around. Add some 4x4 legs and its good to go.

And don't forget to build a nice big secure outdoor enclosure for fair weather too.

Thank Tom!! Yes, I am already looking into new enclosure idea and I found nice light weight 3x7 table top (super light weight and only$15), 4 steel legs ($20) and side walls ( approx another $20)... So I can easily build his enclosure of 5 times what's it's right now and for less than $70... And petsmart charged me $170 for his 40 gallon tank.

Anyways, everyone learn lessons in its own way and this was mine.

One more question, is it's okay If I make one side wall of glass?? He kinda like looking out and reacts to our actions.