Age, just a guestimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clare n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex uk
Hello all. I know there is no real way of telling a tortoises age without knowing when she he or she is born. But reading through a few threads, some people seem to be able to give a rough guess through the look and size. His age doesn't worry me, I'm just curious to know as I'm guessing my mother in law was told a few lies, and comparing him with a few others on here I can safely imagine that he is older than about 3&1/2 to 4. Is 6-10

image-2106697918.png
maybe a good estimate based on what i have read?If nobody can tell me, it's not an issue. I'll still love him if he's a young man or an old boy ;)
Ps I'm certain he is male, I've SEEN it... *my eyes are burning still*

image-3888991202.png

image-4245874995.png

image-204234846.png

image-3212989751.png

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
We have had him about 3 years, she had him less than a year I believe he has had a growth spurt but hes never been tiny, he was in the garden living, not long after julie got him. And the reason we had him was because he was hassling the girlies all the time. He is about 6inches.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Horsfields are a small species... I think he's pretty much full size. So he could well have been not far off maturity when she got him. Your guesstimate of 6-10 could be right, but he may be older. Hopefully someone else will have a better idea for you.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Thanks again :) yes all the ones I see are small, apart from Mary (joes age at least) who has hit pretty much double Phillips size. Makes me wonder if she has different species in her, though to look at and examine, she is definitely a Russian. She is a beast haha. And she's angry too...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
probably right on as for a guestamite. 6-10 years old. when torts tend to get ancient they get that easily distinquishable aged shell look. thick endings on the scutes. and just a solid good aged look.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Clare:

I think your MIL was told the truth. This is a captive bred Russian (steppe) tortoise, and it looks to me to be around 3 or 4 years old.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I have to agree with Yvonne, he does have that CB look to him, but at 6 inches I would think he's a little older than 3-4. I could be wrong though, the CB ones tend to grow faster it seems.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
He is looks CB to me also and if I had to guess I would guess 5. But, that's just my personal opinion.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Thank you all. It's not vital that I know I was just curious :) also now if anyone asks I can say he's "around" that age :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
After seeing the third shot of him with his pristine bottom shell, I agree he is CB, I have never seen a WC russian with such a nice looking plastron.
I would say no older than 5.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
I wasnt sure if he was wild, though i was 99% sure he wasnt as he was fairly "bumpy" when I acquired him. Thanks again all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.