After years of being in love..

blackfish707

...I am finally getting my first tortoise! Back when I worked in a pet store, we had for a time, a young red-footed tortoise. I became insanely attached even though I knew nothing about them. I could tell we were not meeting the care requirements due to his/her behavior, but I was not allowed to change the setup (part of the reason I no longer work there). I would give that little tortoise a bath every shift I worked because I could see it brighten up when soaked and figured it was beneficial (I now KNOW it was), I would sneak it fresh greens when I could, and critique my coworkers for not soaking it's pellets, or misting, or soaking "my" precious little tortoise. Well, despite my efforts, the little tort continued to decline in health and was eventually transferred. I was heartbroken. I sincerely loved that little dude.

Flash forward several years and after all this time I am finally getting my own red-foot! (She) arrives on Tuesday and I can't wait. She was born back in May and is so itty-bitty. I'm taking this weekend to gather up the rest of her things. I feel like I'm bringing home a new baby. I've done a ton of research, but can always stand to learn more. My first question to the forum is:

If you were to give a new (tropical) tortoise owner ONE word of advice, What would it be?

~You can totally follow up with several words of advice, too.

Oh, and my name's Delaney and I am located in Virginia!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome! I have five reds they are very addictive.

blackfish707

Guess who arrived this morning?! So in love with this little tike already! After roaming around her enclosure a bit she's taken to napping in her hide :)
uploadfromtaptalk1409070127084.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1409070031373.jpg

Kaitlynn

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota, USA
Very cute! I want a red-foot! They are so beautiful! I have heard nothing but good things about these guys! :) WELCOME AND ENJOY YOUR LITTLE ONE!!! :<3::<3::<3::D:)

blackfish707

A couple more photos of her settling in. She munched her food a bit, explored, then proceeded to bury herself in the substrate for a nap. I have her on a 50/50 mix of Eco Earth and Cypress mulch. It seems to be perfect for walking on and digging under and is holding the humidity splendidly.

uploadfromtaptalk1409095063068.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409095080359.jpg