After Rat attack

JerseyMatty

Location (City and/or State)
Jersey
Hi
We have a tortoise (35 yr old called Matty) that lives outside but unfortunately was attacked by a rat 2 months ago. We took him to the vet and the injury to his leg cleared up and he was able to move around the garden without issue. Since that date he has been very reluctant to roam the garden in the manner he used to (he used to roam the garden at speed and venture to all parts investigating through the whole day). Now he tends to stay under bushes and only ventures out sporadically and doesn't go far from where he settles down over night.

Has anyone else had this experience after a rat attack or is there anything we should do etc

Regards

Ian

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never had anything attack my tortoises. However, that's probably because I don't let them stay out at night.
Build a safe close able night box and lock him in each night.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi
We have a tortoise (35 yr old called Matty) that lives outside but unfortunately was attacked by a rat 2 months ago. We took him to the vet and the injury to his leg cleared up and he was able to move around the garden without issue. Since that date he has been very reluctant to roam the garden in the manner he used to (he used to roam the garden at speed and venture to all parts investigating through the whole day). Now he tends to stay under bushes and only ventures out sporadically and doesn't go far from where he settles down over night.

Has anyone else had this experience after a rat attack or is there anything we should do etc

Regards

Ian
The tortoise needs a safe shelter at night that can be closed up to keep rodents and other pests/predators out.

I describe it and show pics here:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You got some great advice! Hope all goes well after you take action! All the best.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My tort has lost a foot which the vet thought was from a rat attack and there are horrific stories of torts losing limbs to rats and having to be fitted with frames with wheels - some during hibernation if they've been left to their own devices in the garden. (There are videos on YouTube), but not all survive. So because you know there are rats about then you need to take him in at night until you can build a secure night box for him and if you let him hibernate do it safely in a secure place or fridge where the temps can be controlled. I would make him a secure enclosure for the day too, because rats like the cover of bushes too.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Wow, that horrible Ian, sorry to hear. I did not know that rats attack live animals unless they are starving. I thought they were a "least resistance, if there's plenty of other food avail", kind of animal........guess not!

When you take on nature as in wiping out a dangerous bee nest, removing animals from the home, preventing squirrels from getting to a feeder, locking out pests, or removing rats..... skirmish warfare is a losing proposition. Take the time, do the research as you are now....and go win the war. Hope your guy is okay.

jeff