African Leopard Tortoise-Foster care?

MWD21

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hello All,

I think I am posting this in the correct forum, I am reaching out to Torto lovers as my son is in a pickle. He is moving from HI to WA (Seattle area) and is desperate to keep his African Leopard tortoise, as he had it from a baby to now, measuring ~ 10 inches long. He does not have an apartment yet and will be moving the end of Dec. I am trying to find a way to build something here in NorCal (Santa Cruz area) but do not have any room indoors and am trying to figure out how to build something outdoors to house Kunta. This has turned into a huge feat and most definitely will not get this done before the end of the year.

Is there anyone in the HI, NorCal or Washington Seattle area that can foster Kunta until we get his living arrangements set up? I know this is a big ask but once my son is settled I am sure he will build a palace for him, as he has while living in HI. Thanks!!! Michelle

Attachments

• kunta.jpg
    kunta.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 20

Lilly_Two

New York
Sadly I can't help but mabey if I like and reply more people will se it, I wish you, your son, and the leopard the best of luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Michelle, and welcome to the Forum!

I was wondering if your son has looked into the legality or rigamarole of bringing a tortoise into the United States. There may be rules and regulations, quarantine, etc. that he has to follow. I think my tortoise partner has sold and shipped tortoises from the States to Hawaii, maybe her has a bit of wisdom for your son - @Kapidolo Farms

So is he planning to ship the tortoise to a foster family here in the States?

I hope things work out for you., Good luck!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Michelle, and welcome to the Forum!

I was wondering if your son has looked into the legality or rigamarole of bringing a tortoise into the United States. There may be rules and regulations, quarantine, etc. that he has to follow. I think my tortoise partner has sold and shipped tortoises from the States to Hawaii, maybe her has a bit of wisdom for your son - @Kapidolo Farms

So is he planning to ship the tortoise to a foster family here in the States?

I hope things work out for you., Good luck!
This is the OPs original thread Yvonne.
Her son wanted her to take care of it but she doesn't have the space or resources to set up a big and warm enough enclosure in her part of the states.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Make sure anyone who offers to take him is a long time member who posts regularly who your son can keep in touch with.
Sadly there have been people who have joined TFO to get free torts to sell on.

MWD21

CA
Make sure anyone who offers to take him is a long time member who posts regularly who your son can keep in touch with.
Sadly there have been people who have joined TFO to get free torts to sell on.
Thank you Lyn, I appreciate your insight, will do!