Advice re water treatments..,

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Ok, so I've finally decided I'm just not happy with the water treatment I use (Neutral Regulator). Our city water is pretty alkaline, and their website says they use chloramine for water purification, so that makes sense. But despite repeated treatment with Neutral Regulator with all water that I put in the tanks, the pH is always 7.8. I want to keep my mud turtle and my musk turtle (2 different tanks) in their optimum captive environment, so I think the water should really be closer to neutral. What have those of you with alkaline water been able to use successfully to bring the pH closer to neutral?

AND...I have alway used the API Test Kit and Test Strips because I thought they were the best, but I'm open to trying something new if it's better.
Thanks!:)
Moozillion

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Two methods I would try:

1. Add some dead leaves, which can decay and lower pH in the process

2. Run a canister filter with some granular sulfur media (a sulfur denitrator, if you want something to research)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Two methods I would try:

1. Add some dead leaves, which can decay and lower pH in the process

2. Run a canister filter with some granular sulfur media (a sulfur denitrator, if you want something to research)
"Sulfur denitrator"....hmmmmm....Never heard of it!! Google, here I come! ;)
THANKS, Steve!!!

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Is this something you've done yourself, or something you read about?
My friend from the local fish club once told me that .they keep all kinds of amazon fish. He told me 2 basic rules using socks
1) Wash brand NEW socks with water throughly . Not stinky old socks
2)don’t use those thick white sports socks . Use the thin , sexy , stockings type . ( I’m not sure why . Probably due to the mesh size ? Lol )

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
My friend from the local fish club once told me that .they keep all kinds of amazon fish. He told me 2 basic rules using socks
2)don’t use those thick white sports socks . Use the thin , sexy , stockings type . ( I’m not sure why . Probably due to the mesh size ? Lol )
I imagine there's a lot of lint from thick, fluffy(-ish) athletic socks. Those are more likely to be cotton or a cotton blend.
The "thin, sexy, stockings type" will be synthetic.

Last edited:

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
More sexy the better!?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
THANKS so much! ??❤️