Mizena01

Location (City and/or State)
Cardiff
Hi everyone,

Could you please all offer advice…

this evening I found what I thought was our little tort choking on a long piece of green leaf, which seemed to be caught in her mouth and throat.

I immediately panicked, and seeing she was trying to hook at it with her arm, I jumped to help and gradually helped pull it out.

In hindsight I know that I probably acted wrongly, and should of let her try to help herself - however I was so worried.

I got it out for the most part, it was roughly two and a half inches. The rest she swallowed.
She immediately ate some more leafy stuff without problem.
She then stomped around her home for another hour before digging down to sleep.

despite the normal behaviour after the Incident, I’m worried I could of caused damage to her in the moment.

can anyone advise what to look out for if I have injured her, or what to do in future.

right now she seems to be sleeping just fine in a little hole.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What you did was fine, and possibly not necessary. It shouldn't hurt the tort at all. And it obviously didn't bother your tortoise if it kept on eating.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would have done the same thing. Pulling it out gently shouldnt have been a problem.
I wouldn't worry, especially seeing she didn't seem bothered afterwards.

Mizena01

Cardiff
Thank you all for your replies.

When I got up this morning T was up before me, she seemed chilled out.

I sprayed down her enclosure with water like normal… she chased the bottle around, again like normal.

I put out some munch to check she was okay eating, and she came right over and went to town on it. So that all seemed good, and I couldn’t see any injury to the mouth or throat, as far as I could see.

so will just monitor her for the next few days, but she seems totally in affected by the whole affair.

the only one who seems affected is me!

thank you all again, will report back if there is anything else.