Advice on planting some greens for sulcata tortoise

Miranda16

Location (City and/or State)
IL
I'd like to grow some greens for my sulcata tortoise. I wanted to make sure if these seeds i plan to get are 100% safe for him and if not then i will not use. I have looked up safe foods and it seems the seeds i picked out apply. But i just want to be 100% sure.
If you have planted your own greens please share what kind of seeds you have used and any kind of input is helpful.
Thank you! 20180316_131836.jpg20180316_131540.jpg20180316_131537.jpg20180316_131530.jpg

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
I'd like to grow some greens for my sulcata tortoise. I wanted to make sure if these seeds i plan to get are 100% safe for him and if not then i will not use. I have looked up safe foods and it seems the seeds i picked out apply. But i just want to be 100% sure.
If you have planted your own greens please share what kind of seeds you have used and any kind of input is helpful.
Thank you! View attachment 233199View attachment 233200View attachment 233201View attachment 233202
I think you'll be just fine. Maybe get organic seeds next time if it worries you. My sulcata wont eat collards or bok choy for some reason.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All of those are done as a small part of the diet. Those choices are not toxic. However, those aren't the best foods for your sulcata. Grasses, weeds, leaves and succulents are what they need in their daily diet. Grocery store greens need to be amended with grasses, hays, and other products to make them higher fiber and better for your tortoise. Why not just grow things that are good tortoise food?

Here is a link with more explanation and a long list of good foods to feed. At the bottom are some links for place to buy good seeds.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Miranda16

IL
All of those are done as a small part of the diet. Those choices are not toxic. However, those aren't the best foods for your sulcata. Grasses, weeds, leaves and succulents are what they need in their daily diet. Grocery store greens need to be amended with grasses, hays, and other products to make them higher fiber and better for your tortoise. Why not just grow things that are good tortoise food?

Here is a link with more explanation and a long list of good foods to feed. At the bottom are some links for place to buy good seeds.
Thank you!

Miranda16

IL

So all the seed mixes that tortoisesupply.com has are all safe for my sulcata then? Because i will go that route and do organic as well. Ty

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So all the seed mixes that tortoisesupply.com has are all safe for my sulcata then? Because i will go that route and do organic as well. Ty
Yes. I did a thread on their Testudo mix than ran for a few years. It is great stuff. That mix in combination with their grass mix should serve you very well. I've also used their clover and its also good stuff.

Miranda16

IL
Yes. I did a thread on their Testudo mix than ran for a few years. It is great stuff. That mix in combination with their grass mix should serve you very well. I've also used their clover and its also good stuff.
Great to know. I will be ordering from them!