Advice on new baby, first time tort mama

Gem0709

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
1F829D43-CDB0-4C84-B523-1FF4355C6273.jpeg 414B33EC-03CB-4D9A-B580-1DCEDB087BA4.jpeg A318E721-0994-4EF1-95EC-4627ED9B9ACC.jpeg Good morning,
My son and I have recently gotten a baby marginated tort and we love him/her already. I have done a ton of research, read all the care sheets, scrolled and read through a majority of the threads for information. I just have a few questions on keeping the heat and humidity up in the enclosure.
Currently Yoshi is being housed in a 55 gallon Rubbermaid bin with zoomed coco coir and a layer of mulch on top. He gets a 20-25 minute soak every morning and have been feeding a variety of dandelion greens and spring mix currently. Planning on getting a seed mix and growing in a bin outdoors as soon as the weather cooperates a bit. Fresh water every day and misting about 4-5 times a day. The problem is I can't seem to keep the humidity above 60% from what I have read babies need close to 80%?? (I hope I'm remembering that correctly) also the ambient temp is 70F. Basking area is staying between 95-100F. I typically cover the bin at night immediately after lights go out to keep in the warmth and humidity but it's dropping to 68 at night. Is this too cold for a baby?? Want to make sure we are taking care of him properly and if I need to modify or add a che I have no problems doing that. He seems active and is eating and basking well. He puts himself to bed but burying into the mulch(he refuses to get into the humid hide or dry hide I have for him).
Any advice is appreciated and many thanks for taking the time to answer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I'm not well versed in the care of the marginated tortoise, so I'll leave that for someone else, but I can tell you some generic care. Baby tortoises, due to their size, dehydrate quickly, so should be soaked daily for about 15 or 20 minutes. Keep his enclosure overall warm, about 80-85F, with a very slight drop for night time, but certainly NOT below 75F.

Melis

Maryland
Welcome! Covering the enclosure will help maintain the heat and humidity

henryzou1990

The bedding you put may hurt your baby cause he/she may digest them. I used to use the wood chips sold in petsmart for tortoises.