Advice on new baby’s shell, please!

Shannon F

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
We just brought home this baby last night and in our excitement, I guess we did not examine it well enough to notice the ridges on the scutes until it was under the lights in its enclosure. I’m sure a more experienced keeper would have spotted it right away, but we were more focused on how active and voraciously it was eating. I have looked through the posts here and I am guessing this is pyramiding already- is it? I have been reading all of the care sheets you all have provided while we prepped for a new tortoise (and thank you so much for that!), so we have followed recommendations for a fully enclosed habitat, high/low temperatures and humidity levels as well as a humid hide. Besides providing the best environment and diet that we can, is there anything else we can do? Should we be worried about it’s future growth? I’m kicking myself for not looking more closely before bringing it home and worried about doing the best for the little one. Thanks!

Attachments

• 5339B916-05FF-4420-B304-4F43C1866B9C.jpeg
    5339B916-05FF-4420-B304-4F43C1866B9C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 114

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Sounds like your research and practices are already paving the way to slowing or halting the pyramiding. Proper temperature range, humidity and diet will all ensure a healthy tort. Sometimes it is near impossible to halt all pyramiding. The goal is to keep it at an absolute minimum.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Don't kick yourself. You have a wonderful sully that will bring many smiles to you. If you do the correct care like Mizcreant said. At the age of your tort that would virtually disappear.

Shannon F

Illinois
Ok, thanks to both of you for your thoughts! I am very grateful to have found this group- I’ve learned so much already. Thanks for sharing your expertise for newbies like me!

Russiantortylady

Vermont
Is there anything that I can put on my Russian Tortoise's shell to help with shine?? Thank you in advance........

Dena

New York
Is there anything that I can put on my Russian Tortoise's shell to help with shine?? Thank you in advance........
I wouldn’t put anything on the shell unless it was medically necessary. They are not naturally shiny.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I put a mix of coconut, almond, and olive oils on my redfoot tortoise's shell once a week ....

Jamie

daniellenc

Maryland
Just keep up daily soaks and if you like use some cold pressed olive oil/grape seed oil, or coconut oil once a week. I use an old toothbrush and massage my little guy's shell with it once a week. He quite enjoys it.