Advice on Leaving Tortoise at Home

Arshi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hi everyone!

My family is planning a trip and it’s for the long weekend from Friday evening to Monday night. Long story short, all of the people that I could usually take simba (redfoot Cherryhead tortoise) to while I’m away are also leaving town. Here’s my plan, let me know if you think it’s okay. Also note, simba is a year and a month old.

I was thinking of giving him a long soak and big meal Friday evening. Lights and heating is on a timer so we’re all good there. Refresh his water before I leave. Then I’m thinking of putting a huge plate of greens that could last him Saturday and Sunday. Sunday night my brother will be back home so he can take care of him for Monday and maybe even give him a Sunday night snack to make sure he’s full and okay.

My fear: we are leaving Friday evening so I have to put saturdays/sundays food in his encolosure while he’s awake. He doesn’t sleep until night time so what if he sees all this food and eats everything and won’t have anything for Saturday and sunday :(

what do you think of this? Simba lives inside and he always has a meal every single day. He’s also young so I’m not sure if that effects anything and whether it’s a good idea leaving him on his own…

One more thing, he has a little wooden bridge in his enclosure, do you think I should take it out just in case he tries to climb it and flips over? He has never ever flipped over but occasionally will try to climb thing sometimes.. any tips would be wonderful.

Last edited:

nicoleann2214

NY
Hi everyone!

My family is planning a trip and it’s for the long weekend from Friday evening to Monday night. Long story short, all of the people that I could usually take simba (redfoot Cherryhead tortoise) to while I’m away are also leaving town. Here’s my plan, let me know if you think it’s okay. Also note, simba is a year and a month old.

I was thinking of giving him a long soak and big meal Friday evening. Lights and heating is on a timer so we’re all good there. Refresh his water before I leave. Then I’m thinking of putting a huge plate of greens that could last him Saturday and Sunday. Sunday night my brother will be back home so he can take care of him for Monday and maybe even give him a Sunday night snack to make sure he’s full and okay.

My fear: we are leaving Friday evening so I have to put saturdays/sundays food in his encolosure while he’s awake. He doesn’t sleep until night time so what if he sees all this food and eats everything and won’t have anything for Saturday and sunday :(

what do you think of this? Simba lives inside and he always has a meal every single day. He’s also young so I’m not sure if that effects anything and whether it’s a good idea leaving him on his own…

One more thing, he has a little wooden bridge in his enclosure, do you think I should take it out just in case he tries to climb it and flips over? He has never ever flipped over but occasionally will try to climb thing sometimes.. any tips would be wonderful.
It all sounds fine to me. When I go away I take all the food and put it together in bags so they’re ready to be put onto the plate for my sulcata if I have someone taking care of her. I personally would take the bridge down just to be extra careful! Have you ever thought about putting a camera up so you can monitor your camera tortoise while you’re away? I can promise you it would make you feel 110% better, I have one myself.

Arshi

Canada
It all sounds fine to me. When I go away I take all the food and put it together in bags so they’re ready to be put onto the plate for my sulcata if I have someone taking care of her. I personally would take the bridge down just to be extra careful! Have you ever thought about putting a camera up so you can monitor your camera tortoise while you’re away? I can promise you it would make you feel 110% better, I have one myself.
Where did you get your camera? You put it right in the enclosure? His enclosure has high humidity at 80% so I feel like that might interfere with the camera. But a camera would definitely make me feel sooo much better ? ya I’ll portion his food out for my brother to put. I’m just worried about him on Saturday and Sunday since he’ll be alone. I think I will take that bridge out just in case.

thank you for your advice!

Arshi

Canada
Simba would be fine without any food for that short a period but a big meal on the day you leave will certainly help, as will big soaks before and after your trip.

Jamie
Simba would be fine without any food for that short a period but a big meal on the day you leave will certainly help, as will big soaks before and after your trip.

Jamie
Thank you Jamie! I’ll make sure to do that before and after :) how long would you recommend I soak him for before going?

nicoleann2214

NY
Where did you get your camera? You put it right in the enclosure? His enclosure has high humidity at 80% so I feel like that might interfere with the camera. But a camera would definitely make me feel sooo much better ? ya I’ll portion his food out for my brother to put. I’m just worried about him on Saturday and Sunday since he’ll be alone. I think I will take that bridge out just in case.

I got mine off of Amazon it’s a WYZE camera and I have a cover for it and it works well other then my tortoise plowing it down.

nicoleann2214

NY

Wyze Cam Pan 1080p Pan/Tilt/Zoom Wi-Fi Indoor Smart Home Camera with Night Vision, 2-Way Audio, Works with Alexa & the Google Assistant, White - WYZECP1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGR98VQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
And the case
SEEKONE Wyze Cam Pan Protective... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TMZ8PJ6/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Take the bridge out for sure just in case. And don't bother about the camera. What would you do if you saw something happen to him anyway? If there was someone you could call to help, then you would have asked them to monitor him while you were away, right? Enjoy your trip.

Arshi

Canada
Take the bridge out for sure just in case. And don't bother about the camera. What would you do if you saw something happen to him anyway? If there was someone you could call to help, then you would have asked them to monitor him while you were away, right? Enjoy your trip.
That’s a solid point, maybe call 911 ?? “hi my tortoise is flipped on its shell, can you please break my window and help him up”

Arshi

Canada
So spoiled!!! I simply don't go if I can't get anybody to stay with my animals...
Hi! I appreciate your opinion but can you please express it in a way where it does not put other people down? Constructive criticism is welcomed but insulting someone is not nice. Thank you :)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi! I appreciate your opinion but can you please express it in a way where it does not put other people down? Constructive criticism is welcomed but insulting someone is not nice. Thank you :)
I seriously am sorry...I made the comment toToddrick about his animals being spoiled. He is my friend. I shouldn't have posted that comment in my response to you.
But my response about me not going if I couldn't find someone to stay here was meant for you. You don't have to like it, but your animals are your responsibility, so if there's no one to stay with your new human baby while you go away...isn't that the same thing? It is to me. My animals are my responsibility 24/7 vacation or not. Nobody to cover me...I don't go...

Arshi

Canada
I seriously am sorry...I made the comment toToddrick about his animals being spoiled. He is my friend. I shouldn't have posted that comment in my response to you.
But my response about me not going if I couldn't find someone to stay here was meant for you. You don't have to like it, but your animals are your responsibility, so if there's no one to stay with your new human baby while you go away...isn't that the same thing? It is to me. My animals are my responsibility 24/7 vacation or not. Nobody to cover me...I don't go...
Oh! Thank you for clearing that up haha, sorry. Thought you were calling me or Toddrick spoiled. I’m sorry. I really appreciate your opinion and do agree with you. That being said, this family trip is really important for personal reasons I don’t really want to disclose here. Although, I’m considering hiring someone or keeping him at the vet ?? I will figure something out

Cloud Atlas, North Carolina
Ya'll are brave. Not a chance I would leave my turtle. Last resort I would board him at the vet. I'm actually planning to take him on vacation with me next year (if he's still alive) and my out of town friends know he comes with me on any visits.