Advice on Leaving Tortoise at Home

Chubbs the tegu

Location (City and/or State)
Ma
Oh! Thank you for clearing that up haha, sorry. Thought you were calling me or Toddrick spoiled. I’m sorry. I really appreciate your opinion and do agree with you. That being said, this family trip is really important for personal reasons I don’t really want to disclose here. Although, I’m considering hiring someone or keeping him at the vet ?? I will figure something out
No worries.. she calls me worse

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I left for 3 days. I transplanted a bunch of weeds to Herbie’s enclosure. I do have a camera in his enclosure and trust me - I watched it for almost all 3 days. Not very relaxed.
I made my dad drive at night because his hide out box didn’t look right. ?
Herbie’s enclosure is safe, cozy, warm and humid and I knew he will be just fine but as we all I worried all this time. I even made my dad go over and take Herbie for a walk and soak him ??

At the end Herbie lived his best life and I was stressed.
My advice is leave some food around and you will be good to go.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi everyone!

My family is planning a trip and it’s for the long weekend from Friday evening to Monday night. Long story short, all of the people that I could usually take simba (redfoot Cherryhead tortoise) to while I’m away are also leaving town. Here’s my plan, let me know if you think it’s okay. Also note, simba is a year and a month old.

I was thinking of giving him a long soak and big meal Friday evening. Lights and heating is on a timer so we’re all good there. Refresh his water before I leave. Then I’m thinking of putting a huge plate of greens that could last him Saturday and Sunday. Sunday night my brother will be back home so he can take care of him for Monday and maybe even give him a Sunday night snack to make sure he’s full and okay.

My fear: we are leaving Friday evening so I have to put saturdays/sundays food in his encolosure while he’s awake. He doesn’t sleep until night time so what if he sees all this food and eats everything and won’t have anything for Saturday and sunday :(

what do you think of this? Simba lives inside and he always has a meal every single day. He’s also young so I’m not sure if that effects anything and whether it’s a good idea leaving him on his own…

One more thing, he has a little wooden bridge in his enclosure, do you think I should take it out just in case he tries to climb it and flips over? He has never ever flipped over but occasionally will try to climb thing sometimes.. any tips would be wonderful.
I’ve got an idea for you for the food. A few months back I did a little experiment to see how long “Living Lettuce” could survive in my enclosure before going bad. I was just curious, because if there comes the time that I need to leave my tortoise home for a couple of days without me, I thought it could be a good option. So living lettuce is the stuff you can but that still has the root ball attached to it. I rinsed it well and then I dug a hole in the substrate and put a drinking glass in the hole that was just large enough for the root ball and some water. I filled the glass up with water and the living lettuce survive for 4 days before it started to wilt a little and was still pretty good on day 6. I’ve don’t this a couple of times now, even though I haven’t left my tort alone and the other time I got the lettuce to last a week And a half. Mine is an open topped enclosure. Anyhow, it’s an option for you. My tortoise loved hiding under the lettuce and seemed to enjoy it. I put it in a spot close to his food dish.

1F9715DF-C870-4352-B55C-5F618BB7700A.jpeg

14595657-DB2B-447E-8504-BC2282436552.jpeg

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I’ve got an idea for you for the food. A few months back I did a little experiment to see how long “Living Lettuce” could survive in my enclosure before going bad. I was just curious, because if there comes the time that I need to leave my tortoise home for a couple of days without me, I thought it could be a good option. So living lettuce is the stuff you can but that still has the root ball attached to it. I rinsed it well and then I dug a hole in the substrate and put a drinking glass in the hole that was just large enough for the root ball and some water. I filled the glass up with water and the living lettuce survive for 4 days before it started to wilt a little and was still pretty good on day 6. I’ve don’t this a couple of times now, even though I haven’t left my tort alone and the other time I got the lettuce to last a week And a half. Mine is an open topped enclosure. Anyhow, it’s an option for you. My tortoise loved hiding under the lettuce and seemed to enjoy it. I put it in a spot close to his food dish.

View attachment 329450

View attachment 329451
Oh yes I did the same with weeds. I covered a little jar with water and roots. Lasted 1 day Herbie decided everything needs to be eaten right here and right now ?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I seriously am sorry...I made the comment toToddrick about his animals being spoiled. He is my friend. I shouldn't have posted that comment in my response to you.
But my response about me not going if I couldn't find someone to stay here was meant for you. You don't have to like it, but your animals are your responsibility, so if there's no one to stay with your new human baby while you go away...isn't that the same thing? It is to me. My animals are my responsibility 24/7 vacation or not. Nobody to cover me...I don't go...
Maggie, I knew exactly what you were saying!
You added the remarks, that Toddrick had posted, to the lead of your post, and added your opinion regarding leaving your kids alone for that time.
I know U & Toddrick are friends so there;s nothing to sorry about...IMO

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
I admire
Hi everyone!

My family is planning a trip and it’s for the long weekend from Friday evening to Monday night. Long story short, all of the people that I could usually take simba (redfoot Cherryhead tortoise) to while I’m away are also leaving town. Here’s my plan, let me know if you think it’s okay. Also note, simba is a year and a month old.

I was thinking of giving him a long soak and big meal Friday evening. Lights and heating is on a timer so we’re all good there. Refresh his water before I leave. Then I’m thinking of putting a huge plate of greens that could last him Saturday and Sunday. Sunday night my brother will be back home so he can take care of him for Monday and maybe even give him a Sunday night snack to make sure he’s full and okay.

My fear: we are leaving Friday evening so I have to put saturdays/sundays food in his encolosure while he’s awake. He doesn’t sleep until night time so what if he sees all this food and eats everything and won’t have anything for Saturday and sunday :(

what do you think of this? Simba lives inside and he always has a meal every single day. He’s also young so I’m not sure if that effects anything and whether it’s a good idea leaving him on his own…

One more thing, he has a little wooden bridge in his enclosure, do you think I should take it out just in case he tries to climb it and flips over? He has never ever flipped over but occasionally will try to climb thing sometimes.. any tips would be wonderful.
I admire all your preparations! You're a great tort mom! When I used to go away I would board Derrick in case something came up. My lights were on timers too, but as we live in the country, there are frequent electrical black outs! That worked out well. I never had to worry, and the veterinary staff loved Derrick and loved to play with him.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You added the remarks, that Toddrick had posted, to the lead of your post, and added your opinion regarding leaving your kids alone for that time.
omg! That is an excellent example of exactly why I recently said how glad I am that you joined TFO!!!

ShellyKettelley

Phoenixville Pa
Hi everyone!

I love how cautious you are being. Yes, remove the bridge! Great idea! And Simba will be absolutely fine even if there were no food (which I would never recommend, but I’m just saying that he wouldn’t starve in that amount of time!)
Make available fresh water and he’ll be great.
Have fun and I like the camera idea ????‍♀️
(I have a 23 year old Red footed and have left her multiple times throughout her life for extended weekends, etc)

Attachments

• E726439D-2547-4827-AC56-C6490304BA45.jpeg
    E726439D-2547-4827-AC56-C6490304BA45.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19

Arshi

Canada
I left for 3 days. I transplanted a bunch of weeds to Herbie’s enclosure. I do have a camera in his enclosure and trust me - I watched it for almost all 3 days. Not very relaxed.
I made my dad drive at night because his hide out box didn’t look right. ?
Herbie’s enclosure is safe, cozy, warm and humid and I knew he will be just fine but as we all I worried all this time. I even made my dad go over and take Herbie for a walk and soak him ??

At the end Herbie lived his best life and I was stressed.
My advice is leave some food around and you will be good to go.
I relate to this so much ?? I get super stressed out even at the thought of leaving Simba for only a day. I did order a camera tho! I think it’ll be me ending up super stressed the whole trip while Simba doesn’t even notice a single thing ?

Arshi

Canada

View attachment 329450

View attachment 329451
This is SUCH a good idea !!!!! I need to go buy some living lettuce ASAP. Thank you so much!! You have no idea how much this advice has helped me

Arshi

Canada
Ya I feel bad, it showed up differently on my phone with everything being in one sentence so I got a little defensive and misinterpreted the message. So sorry again Maggie ?❤️

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Ya I feel bad, it showed up differently on my phone with everything being in one sentence so I got a little defensive and misinterpreted the message. So sorry again Maggie ?❤️
Hey it's all good! Enjoy your trip. Make sure he can drink but not drown, remove the bridge (no camera) and don't worry about him...

Arshi

Canada
I admire

I admire all your preparations! You're a great tort mom! When I used to go away I would board Derrick in case something came up. My lights were on timers too, but as we live in the country, there are frequent electrical black outs! That worked out well. I never had to worry, and the veterinary staff loved Derrick and loved to play with him.
Thank you :) ya I am considering boarding him and looking into hiring someone. But I bought a camera too! So that will help ease my anxiety.

Arshi

Canada
I love how cautious you are being. Yes, remove the bridge! Great idea! And Simba will be absolutely fine even if there were no food (which I would never recommend, but I’m just saying that he wouldn’t starve in that amount of time!)
Make available fresh water and he’ll be great.
Have fun and I like the camera idea ????‍♀️
(I have a 23 year old Red footed and have left her multiple times throughout her life for extended weekends, etc)
Thank you so much for the advice! I have taken the bridge out and he is sad because he loves that bridge but it is okay. I also ordered the camera :) Side note, your tortoise is adorable!!!!

Obbie

Minnesota
It all sounds fine to me. When I go away I take all the food and put it together in bags so they’re ready to be put onto the plate for my sulcata if I have someone taking care of her. I personally would take the bridge down just to be extra careful! Have you ever thought about putting a camera up so you can monitor your camera tortoise while you’re away? I can promise you it would make you feel 110% better, I have one myself.
Agreed ! Sad when someones Tort dies after flipping over and dies. Better safe, than sorry

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
Hi. Not sure whether a timed cat/dog feeder would work? I was helping my mum to set hers up for her cat and had a crazy thought that might work for tortoises (may need to be designed better though). Some have ice packs underneath to keep the food fresh and you could set it to open on Saturday. It might work for fresh food. Obviously be careful though as some have flip lids.

Just a thought ?

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Hi. Not sure whether a timed cat/dog feeder would work? I was helping my mum to set hers up for her cat and had a crazy thought that might work for tortoises (may need to be designed better though). Some have ice packs underneath to keep the food fresh and you could set it to open on Saturday. It might work for fresh food. Obviously be careful though as some have flip lids.

Just a thought ?
I am actually gonna build computer to release food and water ? of course connected to my phone.
3d print the food feeder.
I never worry about my cat ? but Herbie whole another story.

Arshi

Canada

Just a thought ?
That’s a really interesting thought. I’ve always thought about this too and I think I’m gonna do some experimenting with it. I’m not sure if anyone else has tried this