Advice on humid/dry

Ribena

Location (City and/or State)
Cardiff UK
Hi all please have you got some advice on substrate I have a fine dry earth substrate under heat lamp with a rock to bask but at cooler end I have coco coir mixed with hay that he like to burrow in and sleep at night time , I’ve had conflicting advice as some say don’t spray and others say it needs to be damp but surely if coco bed was damp it would get cold at night please can I have advice he’s a 5 year old Russian thankyou The 1st pic is basking earth and 2nd pic coco soil

BD035061-A450-4022-AA67-8CB6DDE5E823.jpeg04090D69-22C6-4DEA-A2F6-FCA89F601737.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Why do you have 2 different substrates? You can use the coco coir on both sides. If it's too messy, you can mix it with cypress mulch or orchid bark.

In any case, the hay needs to go. It gets moldy very easily when wet. You asked about spraying and getting cold...once the hay is gone, you can pour some water directly into the substrate and mix it up with your hands. You don't want it wet, just damp. Then, inside a closed enclosure, the lights in daytime and a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) at night keep the enclosure warm.

Is your tortoise living in an open topped tortoise table? I'm not sure at what size/age it's OK to stop all supplemental heating.

Here is our Russian care sheet. It may help you with questions. And let's ask someone for clarification on your issues.

@Carol S

Ribena

Cardiff UK
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

Why do you have 2 different substrates? You can use the coco coir on both sides. If it's too messy, you can mix it with cypress mulch or orchid bark.

In any case, the hay needs to go. It gets moldy very easily when wet. You asked about spraying and getting cold...once the hay is gone, you can pour some water directly into the substrate and mix it up with your hands. You don't want it wet, just damp. Then, inside a closed enclosure, the lights in daytime and a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) at night keep the enclosure warm.

Is your tortoise living in an open topped tortoise table? I'm not sure at what size/age it's OK to stop all supplemental heating.

Here is our Russian care sheet. It may help you with questions. And let's ask someone for clarification on your issues.

@Carol S

Thankyou for advice

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all please have you got some advice on substrate I have a fine dry earth substrate under heat lamp with a rock to bask but at cooler end I have coco coir mixed with hay that he like to burrow in and sleep at night time , I’ve had conflicting advice as some say don’t spray and others say it needs to be damp but surely if coco bed was damp it would get cold at night please can I have advice he’s a 5 year old Russian thankyou The 1st pic is basking earth and 2nd pic coco soil
All of that substrate is bad and needs to go. The limestone bits encourage tortoises to eat that sandy substrate to satisfy their calcium cravings. This is a terrible idea and could lead to impaction.

You also should not be feeding the tortoise directly on the substrate. Sink a couple of terra cotta plant saucers into the substrate for food and water.

Lettuce by itself is not a good food item. Read that care sheet that Karen linked for you for more info on all of this.

Questions and conversation are welcome. :)

Ribena

Cardiff UK
Thankyou , substrate now changed , I don’t feed him just lettuce that’s just there from where he’s dragged it around away from other food in the dish ?

Ribena

Cardiff UK
I Thankyou for your replies and advice it’s much appreciated . Does he look in good health to you , his scutes etc , he has an indoor and outdoor enclosure so will only be using the uva sunlight lamp is it ? In winter , I’m in the uk , he’s apparently 5 yrs old , his shell is 4.5 inches and weighs just over 400 gms , is he too fat please ? Thanks