Advice on growing opuntia cactus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
emysemys said:
That looks like Opuntia Santa Margarita. It has some pretty nasty spines, but it is edible. Its a lower growing shrub-type plant than the one that Sharkstar is growing. Also, it has a blue/grey color to the pad rather than green. Its a very pretty opuntia. I have one in my collecition.
[/quote

as for the spines, you just burn them off? How do torts eat these in the wild? They just sound VERY unfriendly :(

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
the type I have has little almost microscopic spines. hair-like, and a bugger if you happen to get one stuck. no worries, if you can see it, you can grab it with tweezers. As for those with bigger spines, I think you have to peel them off? I don't know if the blow torch will do any good for thicker spines.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
How do you feed them? I have some prickly pear pads and I took the spines off but do I just cut it up and give it to her? Or give it to her whole?

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
the older the pad, the more inner fiber it will have. tough for little ones to handle, and RV sometimes has issues. The older pads I cut cross-wise, so the fibers are cut. The new pads are very tender. the only problem is that they are flat; RV will work and work and work on a pad that is flat, finally either finishing the pad or leaving it, top side scraped and bottom untouched. I will use tongs to feed RV a pad if needed.

Hope this helps.
teri

Status
Not open for further replies.