Advice on general redfoot care

Jollyrogers

I’ve always failed with plants. They get trampled on or eaten. I got some banana plants growing in my tortoise house that seem to be thriving. I think lighting has to be very good to grow plants.

CHE emitter can be a cheap one. Don’t by an expensive brand. Wattage depends on enclosure size. I have a 200watt in a 4x6 viv that is perfect.

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but on the subject of your 4x6 viv. Did you buy this or make it yourself? How tall is it?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but on the subject of your 4x6 viv. Did you buy this or make it yourself? How tall is it?
I bought it. £100 second hand. This is it being set up. It’s for my 3 radiated. Again I created a shield for the CHE so no concentrated heat. I’ve since found out radiated like it all lit up. They won’t use the dark end. Redfoots are the opposite. They seem to like it in dark and shady areas.
04AE75F3-0A12-40D0-92C7-79D4D0E15B19.jpeg

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Wow that looks amazing!! Loving the ornaments ;) also wondering a lot of people have stressed not to use vivariums and to use tables, is this just because their breeds of tortoise don’t need the humidity but for the redfoots it’s essential therefore making the vivs a better option?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Wow that looks amazing!! Loving the ornaments ;) also wondering a lot of people have stressed not to use vivariums and to use tables, is this just because their breeds of tortoise don’t need the humidity but for the redfoots it’s essential therefore making the vivs a better option?
It’s because there are a lot out there still in denial that hydration is playing a major roll in growing tortoises in the first year or so. Some will say glass is bad because they can’t grasp the concept of a transparent object. If that’s the case just color the lower 4” of glass on a viv with paint or tape. In a viv you are trying to imitate the micro climates they live in for the first years in the wild.

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Oh yeah I get what you mean, I’ve been reading about pyramiding too. I’m so glad I found this site cause of all the misinformation online, even on sites that are meant to be reliable. I thought I’d had everything sussed when I got my baby horsefield then joined here and I felt awful that I’d been sold totally wrong lighting and substrate (although I was relieved I was told early and managed to replace it with the right things immediately) this time I want to be completely prepared and confident in what I’m doing. I really appreciate all the help so thankyou! I’ve decided I’m going to buy a viv and cabinet instead. Gunna be patient for once and set everything up well in advance and probably post a lot of pictures on here as and when I buy new things/change anything- for advice :)

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Also will I only need one che for the whole viv? And where abouts do I place it? Would it be suitable to have the che at one end and a small 50w spot light at one end just to light it up and maintain temperature at both ends?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Also will I only need one che for the whole viv? And where abouts do I place it? Would it be suitable to have the che at one end and a small 50w spot light at one end just to light it up and maintain temperature at both ends?
No. You want one CHE. What size viv you get will dictate what wattage CHE you need and where to put it. NO spot lights. CHEs must be used in ceramic fittings, not plastic.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
If they make them to order ask if they can make the front panel 10 or 12” deep that the glass sits on.
I’d build it, seal the inside then paint it with a very good paint. Yacht paint, or chlorinated rubber paint. This will increase the life of your viv massively. The humidity eventually kills the wood of a viv. It will pay to do it right from the off. That paint is not cheap put well worth it. I used chlorinated rubber pond paint in my tort house. So far I have no problems.

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
I’m so glad I found it! Yeah It says it is coated against moisture but wouldn’t wanna take any chances so yeah that’s deffo a good idea about the paint! Is this available at b&q ect? I’d love to get the biggest one from the off but unfortunately I think we’ll have to go with the 6ft for now then upgrade when it’s needed, and sadly they don’t custom build :/ should I also lay something down on the floor of the viv before placing the substrate? Hopefully can keep it as good condition as possible so can sell it on when it’s too small

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I’m so glad I found it! Yeah It says it is coated against moisture but wouldn’t wanna take any chances so yeah that’s deffo a good idea about the paint! Is this available at b&q ect? I’d love to get the biggest one from the off but unfortunately I think we’ll have to go with the 6ft for now then upgrade when it’s needed, and sadly they don’t custom build :/ should I also lay something down on the floor of the viv before placing the substrate? Hopefully can keep it as good condition as possible so can sell it on when it’s too small
The ones you showed in your post are too high. They will just take more to heat up. I’d stick with the standard type vivs and go for a 24” high one.
That paint is available on eBay. Need to use it outside or you’ll be seeing pink elephants. It’s very very toxic. Once dried and cured all is good.

janebartley

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Could you not just use pond liner? If you do use the paint then do you paint all the inside or just to the level of the substrate?

I think because of it having to be sprayed daily and kept so humid there’s still the risk of the wood up the sides and top being affected

Obviously they have some sort of coating anyways but i wanna be on the safe side and keep it as good condition as possible :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Could you not just use pond liner? If you do use the paint then do you paint all the inside or just to the level of the substrate?
The humidity eventually rots the chipboard wood. Even though it’s protected, humidity will find any weakness. I always put a pond liner in my vivs, but the vivs are no good after about 2 yrs.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is great "learning" thread! Very helpful.