Advice Needed- tortoise invited to school

Godfrey's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
An old friend of mine, who teaches at a preschool has invited me to bring Godfrey for the class to meet and observe. I am asking for tips from anyone who has done this, about transport, introductions, speaking points for that age group or anything that might be useful!

I am excited to introduce him to children. The ones that have met him are just so fascinated!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
friend of mine, teaches at a preschool has invited me to bring Godfrey for the class to meet and observe. I am asking for tips from anyone who has done this, about transport, introductions, speaking points for that age group or anything that might be useful!
First of all, stay away from most information you find on the Internet Machine. Most of the information is old incorrect most times and you want to supply good information to these young minds. I would bring your own yard clippings for it and stress that for a sulcata, fruit and the sugar it contains is no good for them.
Try and use parables the kids can relate to. Food from 7-11 no way. But 7-11 has plenty of garbage labeled as foodstuffs. Stress the importance of water always being available even though they come from the desert. And the lights that are needed for proper healthy growth. Point out the solitary life they live and that while young, they don't need or want a friend for company. They don't get lonely. I'm gonna send you a PM now with further information.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I brought Charlie into kindergarten when he was a baby. I had no idea how stressful it would be for him, both the journey and the change of scenery. He couldn't stop pooping the entire time, so the kids didn't want to get too close.

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I brought my horsfield into my god daughters nursery for "show and tell". Since he's not a large tortoise transportation was easy, I use the same method each time I transport him. I place him in a small cardboard box with shredded paper for bedding and to help prevent him being jerked around if I had to make a sudden brake or something. I close the lid so it's dark, but obviously I make plenty of small airholes for ventilation. I havnt had a problem so far, as the lid is shut and it's dark and he can't see out he tends to just sleep, and I don't hear or see him digging or moving about a great deal.

I brought with me a plastic container large enough to move about in and with sides he couldn't climb over, and used a small amount of bedding for him. So when I brought him out of his transport container he went straight into the other container, so that he was safe, not risking him going on the floor or anything. I had the container on a small table where it couldn't be accidently knocked, and I let the children pet him but not hold him (whilst under heavy supervision off me, and firmly telling them to be verrrry gentle) whilst in the container. This didn't seem to stress him as he is well handled. Actually a lot of the kids were very curious to look, but not as many brave enough to pet him!!!

I told them his age and how long they would live for and explained the different sizes of different species, they were especially interested in the large species eg aldabras, and were amazed when I told them they were around when dinosaurs were! I brought with me some different plants and explained his diet. They were really surprised when I explained to them about soaking (referring to it as a bath). I did a brief and simple anatomy guide showing them his shell, beak, claws etc. I also had a little book about tortoises which they all had turns looking at the pictures.

The teacher said she had never had the kids so interested in a show and tell before!! Even at that age they had a lot questions to ask! (I wonder how many went home and said "mammy.... Pleaseeeee can we have a tortoise" hehe!!

On the whole I actually really enjoyed doing it and it was lovely to see the positive reaction off the kids. Plus my god daughter loved it and she was so proud to help me educate the kids about tortoises. Plus since Tink seemed to take the whole experience in his stride and didn't appear stressed out because of it, I'd definitely do it again

Godfrey's Mom

NE Ohio
Thank you!! He has met children before at picnics and I have to say the same, lots of questions and really intrigued!

Prairie Mom

I brought my sulcata to my children's end of year picnic. Here's a thread with photos etc...
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/a-stroller-ride-to-the-park.120701/

My sulcata is very socialized. Based on your other threads, it sounds like Godfrey is pretty social too. Bring hand-sanitizer for any kids that touch him. I would also bring lots of foods for Godfrey to eat. I brought a bag full of Mavis's favorite weeds and flowers. The kids will love to watch him eat and move around.

It's preschool. The discussion will be really simple. Talk about how long they can live, what they eat, and where they originate from. Talk about how big they can get. The kids I chatted with were surprised to know that tortoises can feel sensation in their carapace similar to us feeling things on top of our nails. The kids will be so happy watching Godfrey that you won't have to do much:D

Prairie Mom

Are you going to have help getting him there? I'm worried about you having to lift him etc.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you allow the kids to touch him, you should bring a couple containers of Wipes. The kids should clean their hands prior to and after touching the tortoise.

Godfrey's Mom

NE Ohio
Good points! thank you. The school is only a few blocks away. I am thinking to use a collapsible playpen to get things going. Godfrey is very social. His only flaw that I know if is the color red or yellow. He can get quite stubborn about having to investigate out anything that color. I will probably go and check the set up first before I decide. It's too cold for the kids to be outside here. And the school is only 8:30-11:30.

The lifting is a problem, sadly. But I am so excited at the thought of introducing kids to my friend who loves vegetables and hates baths! ;) I might recruit a helper as a solution.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Good points! thank you. The school is only a few blocks away. I am thinking to use a collapsible playpen to get things going. Godfrey is very social. His only flaw that I know if is the color red or yellow. He can get quite stubborn about having to investigate out anything that color. I will probably go and check the set up first before I decide. It's too cold for the kids to be outside here. And the school is only 8:30-11:30.

The lifting is a problem, sadly. But I am so excited at the thought of introducing kids to my friend who loves vegetables and hates baths! ;) I might recruit a helper as a solution.
A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Personally, I wouldn't take my tort to a school. I often take Oli :<3: (my Greek tort) for "walks" in the sun. I stand beside him literally like a bodyguard so as to avoid any child from touching him, let alone picking him up.

Good luck whatever you decide.:)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
An old friend of mine, who teaches at a preschool has invited me to bring Godfrey for the class to meet and observe. I am asking for tips from anyone who has done this, about transport, introductions, speaking points for that age group or anything that might be useful!

I am excited to introduce him to children. The ones that have met him are just so fascinated!
Hello. So have you decided to take your tort along to school or not? :rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used to take Dudley (sulcata) to functions in a wheel barrow. If the tortoise is small enough, you could use a wagon.

SGT Fish

Columbus, Ohio
one of these days im going to do a little show and tell presentation to my kids 1st grade class. still havent set up a time to do it yet. I plan on bringing my sulcata frank (12 inches), our yellow bellied slider, our adult bearded dragon, our ball python, and maybe some frogs and or our goose.

heck i might have a new panther chameleon by the time i end up going to the school

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
I think it is wonderful to have experiential outings and educational ops for students. Every sunny day in off seasons (& freq during summer) I take Su to local parks for interactions and education. The responses are always great and Su seems to actually enjoy it (I was surprised at first). She lets kids hand feed her, and no longer hides when they gently pet her. Parents enjoy learning, too. A few remembered her from last year and were surprised how much she had grown. So much fun.

I would love to hear how this went for you.

As far as moving big guns, I do have a wagon and am teaching her to walk up a ramp to my van while she is still small (13"). I hope that helps later on.