Advice needed please.Growing a prickly pear cactus from a pad.

Thundersnow

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I see so many cactus planting mixes that say organic.when I read warnings and/or labels every one of them has either fertilizer of additives that don't seem safe to me that the growing plant can absorb into it and being toxic to my baby Star tort. Can anyone recommend a SAFE cactus mix that I can order online so I can plant my cactus pad and safely grown my own food for my lil dollie.He's going to be two months old the end of the week!!!ThanksE96408A4-40F7-4850-ACAB-FA60111DC9EE_1_201_a.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have any plants that you have bought say last year, use their dirt and give the plant new dirt. That old dirts fertilizers/pesticides would be gone and of no danger by now.
Otherwise just get some dirt from your yard.

Thundersnow

Kentucky
If you have any plants that you have bought say last year, use their dirt and give the plant new dirt. That old dirts fertilizers/pesticides would be gone and of no danger by now.
Otherwise just get some dirt from your yard.
Our soil is not soil lol it's clay.Awful.But we have a lot of nice plants trees and beautiful grass growing just not suitable for cactus.I don't have any old soil so I need to find something safe to grow the cactus pad in

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You can order cactus chips from @Kapidolo Farms . If you decide to grow them it's really simple and they will grow in clay. I'm in GA and have no problem growing it. All you have to do is take a pad and bury it halfway in the ground and it'll grow. Like thisIMG_20210617_185104767.jpg

Thundersnow

Kentucky
Now that sounds easy but I was told for the cactus to grow the soil has to be well drained or the cactus will rot.clay is not poreouse at all here

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Now that sounds easy but I was told for the cactus to grow the soil has to be well drained or the cactus will rot.clay is not poreouse at all here
Do not water them very often at all. You could also use some rock or even plastic bottles in the growing pot first. Then the clay. Also try mixing some sand with the clay for better drainage.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can order cactus chips from @Kapidolo Farms . If you decide to grow them it's really simple and they will grow in clay. I'm in GA and have no problem growing it. All you have to do is take a pad and bury it halfway in the ground and it'll grow. Like thisView attachment 327384
The cactus chips Will sells are dry I believe. I don't think they will grow into cactus. Or have you already tried it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fertilizer in your soil is fine. Just make sure there are no pesticides or other toxins.

You can also get any soil you want and mix in some playsand to make your own cactus soil, but I don't think this is necessary as it will grow in regular soil just fine. Just don't water your newly planted pad for at least a month, and make sure it is sitting somewhere hot and sunny.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
You can use the clay, just mix in equal parts coarse sand.
Make sure the cactus pad has scabbed over from where it was cut off of the mother plant, other wise, yes, it will rot.
Water sparingly.
I just cut off a dozen pads from an unruly cactus. To balance it out.
Have about 2 dozen fruits coming, YUM!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
My soil is mostly clay, sea shells,, and rocks, and I grow several different types of opuntia both with spines and without spines. They are planted in the ground and survive the winter cold and wet soil. It really depends on what type of opuntia or any type of cactus you are trying to grow where you live. Some can take the cold and wet soil and some can't. I also have some in pots, both plastic and cement and they do well too without winter protection. I'm a little southeast of Washington DC on the Potomac River.

Thundersnow

Kentucky
Nice looking plants Unfortunately the one live I have came from Florida where I ordered it from so it probably won’t do well here in the colder months unless I bring it inside. I don’t know if it will even grow I’m still at the drying out part

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Nice looking plants Unfortunately the one live I have came from Florida where I ordered it from so it probably won’t do well here in the colder months unless I bring it inside. I don’t know if it will even grow I’m still at the drying out part
Given the advice here, I'm pretty confidant that you will do fine. Just don't over water.
Best of luck...you got this!

Tprime

PERRIS
We live in southern California and have literally hundreds of cacti. Cacti are a form of succulent and do very well in pots as long as there is good drainage and the cactus soil is allowed to dry out in between watering. Most potted succulents, including cacti, die because they are over watered. I pot cactus in all kind of dirt - the dirt really doesn't matter - as long as the pot has drainage holes. I water most of our potted cacti twice a year by allowing the entire pot to soak in a plastic tub of water for a few hours, then allow them to drain. Indoors, the brightest light, but avoid direct sunlight in the summer months between 10 am and 2 pm - they can burn. I have NEVER fertilized my cacti and have many for almost 30 years now. Most of our in the ground cacti depend on seasonal rain, can look very shriveled by end of summer, but have always plumped up with winter rains.