advice needed on winter diet in England

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilminipops

5 Year Member
I live in England as as you will know vegitation dies off in winter, so my Sheldon wont eat solid food from the pet shop and he wont eat good medow hay Ive bought for the horses and him. I have frozen lots of leaves and dandilions but they wont last forever the rate fatty eats..... I am aware , after reading on here, that shop bought food is not the best for my little fella and am wondering if any of you seasoned tort owners have any advice on what I can use to entice him to eat. I am at present worming him ( under supervision of the vet) and he is active but not quite as perky in his personality.... im wondering if the little guy is eating enought? He is pooing and weeing well so no problem there and he goes out in the house for excercise for a few hours a day ( house is warm) ...... any suggestions would be appreciated! :)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Store bought greens and other vegetables are honestly quite fine. Just vary them. Supplement with minerals if you like.

lilminipops

5 Year Member
Ive just been reading about pyramiding through to much protein and have googled what veg I can feed my little guy but its very confusing... begining to wish Id never have bough him they are more difficult to keep than i thought! :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi lilminipops:

Well, I really doubt the foods you buy for your little sulcata will cause him to pyramid. If you keep him in a moist environment he should be ok. It sounds like you're reading information that hasn't been updated in a while.

Just buy a nice variety of greens and don't worry if they contain protein. You can also use the packaged varieties, like Florette crispy salad mix.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
And with your hay, if you cut it very fine, and mix it with the store bought greens some will get eaten. I do this every late summer to get mine ready for winter time diet. Some people soak the hay, but be aware if you soak it, it will mold if left too long and that is a bad deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.