Advice for people with sleepy baby tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Hi I got my little tortoise on Tuesday and after the first day he seem to spend most of his time sleeping in his hide. I did some investigating and found out lots of new owners are having the same problem after reading a few sites i relised what was causing him to hide. My set up as a Heat lamp and a Heat mat. One site said to keep the heat mat on all the time and turn off the heat lamp at night this is what i was doing the temps were in the limits of what were safe but were on the high side, i then read that u need to turn off the mat in the day time and turn it on at night when the heat lamp goes off i did this today and my little fella is so active. I thought i would post this for other new owners as i know there are alot of us with sleepy babys hiding most of the day, he still naped today but he did it while basking and it was on a quick nap. So be aware if your temps are on the high side they will hide and sleep alot. I did not realise how active these little guys are till today he as run around like a mad tortoise and when he was not trying to climb the wall he loved to go up and down his hills over his hides. He tucked him self up for bed at 6.15 but i am not suprized as he as done a tortoise marathon today i got tied just watching him lol.

Any way I hope this helps anyone worrying about the time there baby is sleeping in hide, I know i was because he was awake 2. 30 mins on a morning after warming up eating and having a drink and paddle he would disappear till dinner time come out quick warm and snack and go back in then appear shortly about teatime to snack before going to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.