Advice for a Tortoise Mom to be ?

LRacks4

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento CA
Hey all! I am getting hatchlings the end of August and I am so excited! I have set up the outdoor enclosure for my babies (see attached photo), I still need to get some hay, but I am almost there! I don’t know much about tortoises, so I am hoping you can all give me some good advice for a first time tortoise mom! Advice on the feeding, bathing, and all around general health and guidance for these hatchlings would be amazing!

Attachments

• E409E92F-CB86-4266-866A-366F1A27E37A.jpeg
    E409E92F-CB86-4266-866A-366F1A27E37A.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to TFO!

It's a great place to learn about tortoises... read the threads about keeping whatever type of tortoise you'll be getting and ask lots of questions.

Jamie

TaylorTortoise

Abington
What kind of hatchlings? I really enjoy the set up. However, depending on your area, if it gets hot most of us on here recommend housing hatchlings indoors until they reach a certain age. A few reasons for this is because hatchlings are very tiny to be housed outdoors. They dehydrate fast, you want to make sure you don't lose them! or predators do not get ahold of them. They seem to be more dangerous housed outdoors that young. But maybe I could be wrong. Let the experts decide.

I just recieved a hatchling and I house mine indoors in a raised garden bed with a camera watching my tort all day long to monitor flipping that hatchlings tend to do.

Thats probably a prime reason for me not to house mine outdoors because if they flip while you're inside, or at work you will not be able to help them fast enough as you could if they were housed indoors with a camera on them daily.

Hatchlings need a good amount of humdity. I really do like your set up, lets see what the experts have to say about housing them outdoors as young as they are.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all! I am getting hatchlings the end of August and I am so excited! I have set up the outdoor enclosure for my babies (see attached photo), I still need to get some hay, but I am almost there! I don’t know much about tortoises, so I am hoping you can all give me some good advice for a first time tortoise mom! Advice on the feeding, bathing, and all around general health and guidance for these hatchlings would be amazing!
Hello and welcome. What species are you getting? Hatchings need to be mostly indoors until they get some size and age on them. When people say "tortoises do better outdoors", that is in reference to adults and older larger juveniles. Not babies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and welcome. We need all the questions asked, answered in order to help you. Tortoises should not be housed in pairs. So if you are getting two of thrm they each will need their own enclosure.
Also do not use hay, not for substrate and most babies will not eat it.

LRacks4

Sacramento CA
What kind of hatchlings? I really enjoy the set up. However, depending on your area, if it gets hot most of us on here recommend housing hatchlings indoors until they reach a certain age. A few reasons for this is because hatchlings are very tiny to be housed outdoors. They dehydrate fast, you want to make sure you don't lose them! or predators do not get ahold of them. They seem to be more dangerous housed outdoors that young. But maybe I could be wrong. Let the experts decide.

I just recieved a hatchling and I house mine indoors in a raised garden bed with a camera watching my tort all day long to monitor flipping that hatchlings tend to do.

Thats probably a prime reason for me not to house mine outdoors because if they flip while you're inside, or at work you will not be able to help them fast enough as you could if they were housed indoors with a camera on them daily.

Hatchlings need a good amount of humdity. I really do like your set up, lets see what the experts have to say about housing them outdoors as young as they are.
Hi! Thanks for the advice! I am getting desert tortoise hatchlings! I have built the enclosure as directed my the California turtle and tortoise club, and it’s in an area that is mostly shaded with a wired cover (see photo). I will be getting multiple, so keeping inside my little house isn’t possibly for me. But I have someone who will be coming to check on them daily while im at work! Takes a village to raise a family! Lol. I will be making sure they stay hydrated! Thanks for the tips! It definitely does get hot here in California.

Attachments

• 94A709A8-BCA1-4081-A17C-36E5628F2665.jpeg
    94A709A8-BCA1-4081-A17C-36E5628F2665.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 7

LRacks4

Sacramento CA
Hello and welcome. What species are you getting? Hatchings need to be mostly indoors until they get some size and age on them. When people say "tortoises do better outdoors", that is in reference to adults and older larger juveniles. Not babies.
Hi, I’m getting desert tortoises. I’m getting most my info from the California Turtle and Tortoise club. They have really good information on hatchlings. As soon as they hatch I plan to take them to my vet as recommended to make sure they are healthy and to obtain as much info about them and hibernation as possible. I’ve already picked a vet that specializes in reptiles. The person I’m getting them from says he keeps his hatchlings outdoors as well and they do fine. So I’m hoping that it all works out and I plan to do everything I can to accommodate to them and make them as comfortable as possible. I don’t have space inside to keep them, so this is my only option. Hoping for the best!