advertiser sells pickled turtles

Loohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-Central Arkansas
Got an Ad for Ward's Science dissection specimens when i logged on here just now.
https://wardsci.com/store/product/8891191/preserved-turtles

Preserved Turtles
(No Reviews)

Formalin preserved turtles available in pails.

• Reptile anatomy
  • General dissection
  • High quality preservation
We offer Pseudemys sp. turtles for study specimens that can be used to teach comparative anatomy and the similarities and differences between reptiles, amphibians, and mammals. Students can explore the structures of the shell, musculature, and internal organs of the study animal. The carapace is pre-cut for ease of dissection. We offer plain preserved, single, double, or triple injected turtles for your teaching or research needs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I believe they were already dead. There are ads all the time on fauna looking to buy people's dead tortoises and turtles.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I believe they were already dead. There are ads all the time on fauna looking to buy people's dead tortoises and turtles.

I wonder then how they manage to get such quantities of dead but usable Pseudemys specimens that they can retail them by the bucketful.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wonder then how they manage to get such quantities of dead but usable Pseudemys specimens that they can retail them by the bucketful.
Well, it could be they lie about how they get them. It could also be sellers of large quantities are selling to them either live and they are killing them, or the breeders are killing them in order to sell them to these kinds of people. All I know is I question an ad on fauna and they told me they buy them dead, as that's what their ad is asking for and what they do with them. I'm sure breeders with lots of eggs have many more deaths then any of us have, because they are in it for money only. Being a breeder of anything for money only consist of a lot of deaths and not good care. Think puppy mill. Those kinds of disgusting people are in every field of breeding, not just dogs.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
"Being a breeder of anything for money only consist of a lot of deaths and not good care."

It is very sad that you believe this.

This forum is full of Breeders, Which ones fulfill your delusions?
Me
Tom
Neal
Yvonne
Aldabraman
Tyler
Andrew
N2Torts
Lance

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
"Being a breeder of anything for money only consist of a lot of deaths and not good care."

This forum is full of Breeders, Which ones fulfill your delusions?
Me
Tom
Neal
Yvonne
Aldabraman
Tyler
Andrew
N2Torts
Lance

Yeah, but how many of these people are motivated by money more than love?
There are breeders/sellers aplenty out there who have no love for chelonians, just money.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Yeah, but how many of these people are motivated by money more than love?
There are breeders/sellers aplenty out there who have no love for chelonians, just money.

Those money-only (or money-emphasized) types come in primarily two categories. Those who understand the principles of maximizing production and those who do not. Those who do not understand try to cut costs in ways that end up being self-defeating. They go too cheap and produce fewer eggs and hatchlings as a result. Those who understand the principles of maximizing production actually provide *superior* care to their breeders because it translates into more eggs, more hatchlings, and better quality of hatchlings (so they better survive to customer receipt by virtue of fewer inborn errors).

Unless people actually interact personally with the many, many types of breeders that exist, they are only getting tiny snippets of what is out there. That makes for an incomplete view of how people operate. Some folks will speak to what they have seen when what they have seen is really not as much of what there is to see as they might believe. I know money-emphasizing people with a handful of breeding adults that do poor, good, and great jobs. I know money-emphasizing people with (literally) hundreds and sometimes (yes) thousands of breeding adults that do poor, good, and great jobs. Each individual breeder is his/her own unique case. Among those who do good and great jobs, many of them do not do things the same way, but a lot of the underlying principles by which they operate are similar. Good and great ideas tend to have some measure of convergence when circling a particular topic.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
with 3 D digital computer scanned simulations and the like; the use of actual fauna for comparative anatomy seems completely antiquated and unnecessary.

My formal experiences in the dissection and manipulation of anatomical structures and tissues in humans and a wide variety of animals cannot yet be replicated by visual simulations (and/or artificial models). The know-how to correctly separate layers of integument and connective tissue and observe both macroscopic and microscopic structural features is a skill built by practice in the medium. This is especially important for people who are gaining laboratory experience and for those who wish to become competent in fields of human and veterinary medicine. Manipulating delicate animal tissues gave me an enhanced feel for manipulating human tissues and I would not want a DVM to touch my cherished animals without such experience just as I would not want an MD/DO to touch my beloved humans without such experience. If one does not know how to disassemble the structures, one does not know how to reassemble or remodel the structures to improve health and preserve life.

For a person who does not want to reach those kinds of stages of education, it was never quite necessary. Skill-building is of course specific to the skill one is wishing to build. I gained a great deal of hands-on understanding that is difficult to communicate and currently impossible to replicate without direct experience. As one interpretation of what Nietzsche said, the doer alone learneth.

EdMurphy

Minnesota

This forum is full of Breeders

Why is it that there are no breeders of the gopher tortoise? Or are there?

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think Gopher tortoises are protected by laws like desert tortoises. So no sales or out of state moves and such.

EdMurphy

Minnesota
Thanks, in my mind I would think experienced breeders would help with repopulating but I guess if the habitats are gone it’s hard to get the numbers back up.