Adult Yellowfoots

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I know that certain individuals have yellowfoot tortoises on the forum. Was curious on the size of those adult yellowfoots. I know that yellows get bigger than Redfoots. So I was just curious if people could give me some measurements on their adult yellows. Thanks
Shannon

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I want to see what yellow keepers have to say about this also . I also want to see pictures of the biggest yellows on the forum . I am going to start a herd of yellows maybe this summer .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My YF tortoises are the same size as RF tortoises. My oldest female is about 12lbs, 13" SCL. The male is a bit younger and is 9lbs, 13" SCL (he has her length, but is quite a bit smaller width-wise. The others are smaller and younger

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I want to see what yellow keepers have to say about this also . I also want to see pictures of the biggest yellows on the forum . I am going to start a herd of yellows maybe this summer .
That's awesome your going to get yellows :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The adults vRy greatly depending on locality. It's a long quandary of the amazon basins and the giants. But the traditional yellows do meander around the same size as Redfoots. Largest ones I had in the collection came from Brazil about 9 years ago. All perished rather quickly as they were heavily parasited and covered in ticks the size of quarters and leaches 6-9" long. I did have one survivor of that group. She hung on for many years and finally perished(unfortunately) last year. I'm on mobile right now so can't provide many photos but I have a few on my phone to add.

Among numerous colleagues discussions this one appears to represent an amazon basin. She is 25 pounds and 16" SCL.
image.jpg

And here is a male captive from a farm in Peru. He is 9 years old 13" SCL
image.jpg

That's it for now as my phone is dying and don't have many photos on it as if like to represent.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
The adults vRy greatly depending on locality. It's a long quandary of the amazon basins and the giants. But the traditional yellows do meander around the same size as Redfoots. Largest ones I had in the collection came from Brazil about 9 years ago. All perished rather quickly as they were heavily parasited and covered in ticks the size of quarters and leaches 6-9" long. I did have one survivor of that group. She hung on for many years and finally perished(unfortunately) last year. I'm on mobile right now so can't provide many photos but I have a few on my phone to add.

Among numerous colleagues discussions this one appears to represent an amazon basin. She is 25 pounds and 16" SCL.
View attachment 112427

And here is a male captive from a farm in Peru. He is 9 years old 13" SCL
View attachment 112428

That's it for now as my phone is dying and don't have many photos on it as if like to represent.
Thank you for sharing!! Sorry to hear about your loss of yellows :(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thank you for sharing!! Sorry to hear about your loss of yellows :(
Not much can be done. That was back when animals we're actually wild collected and not farmed from South America. What's sad is that they did perish and were removed. I still have a few skeletons of them and one fully preserved shells. Very large specimens which does make it sad they perished.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Love the pic :) I want to get 2 yellowfoots! But I also need to be realistic too!! I have my 4 reds & 2 cherry heads. I'm debating if I should get 2 more cherries or 2 yellows. I really want yellows!!!! I don't have a backyard!!!! So my torts stay inside majority of the time & living in Michigan, only the summer they get the outside time. So I'm really trying to decide if I should get yellows or not :(

smwboxer

Fort Lauderdale, FL
I have two female yellows that are adults and are about 15lbs each. They are the Suriname locality. Had a male that was around 20 but lost him a few months after getting him. Looking for another male but only a LTC or CH adult. They don't seem to do very well as fresh imports.DSCN3935.JPG

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
My luck I'd get huge yellows. Either way, my husband & I are turning a spare bedroom fully dedicated to my tortoises.
I have two female yellows that are adults and are about 15lbs each. They are the Suriname locality. Had a male that was around 20 but lost him a few months after getting him. Looking for another male but only a LTC or CH adult. They don't seem to do very well as fresh imports.View attachment 112873
WOW!!! They are beautiful! Very sorry to hear about your loss :( thanks for sharing your pic :)

smwboxer

Fort Lauderdale, FL
My luck I'd get huge yellows. Either way, my husband & I are turning a spare bedroom fully dedicated to my tortoises.

WOW!!! They are beautiful! Very sorry to hear about your loss :( thanks for sharing your pic :)
Huge yellows would like hitting the lotto! They are very had to come buy and very expensive when you can find them.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Huge yellows would like hitting the lotto! They are very had to come buy and very expensive when you can find them.
I've never seen a yellowfoot in person. So apparently they don't get as big as I thought! I was thinking 18 - 24 inches.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Here's an old photo of one of the Brazilian giants. The one trying mount her is 12". She was a tanker very dense, thick, and wide.
View attachment 112649

Man, fantastic animal….Why do you think yellow foots are so less common in the hobby? Farm-raised, imported red's are brought in all the time, but I rarely see yellows, and have only seen adults offered once at the NRBE. They seem pretty uncommon.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Man, fantastic animal….Why do you think yellow foots are so less common in the hobby? Farm-raised, imported red's are brought in all the time, but I rarely see yellows, and have only seen adults offered once at the NRBE. They seem pretty uncommon.
What does NRBE mean? Yeah I also wonder why yellows are never seen anywhere!