Adult Sulcata bite

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I woke up in the middle of the night, sick. Vomiting, severe cold sweats ugly, huh! This morning sick as a freakin dog, went out to dump a bag of produce stuff, blooms, leaves and flower Rose of Sharon, purple, .Zucchini grape leaves. So I'm not really paying attention, to Big Sam. I'm tossing all in big pile and Sam reaches out, and bit me hard. After I got my sight back, and evidently I hollered cuz I woke up my neighbor, (nurse), she's taking me to the ER, probably 3 stitches. She says I used the word, f**k in ways she'd never heard before.
So this thread is for big Sulcata bites. Let's show those relatively new to tortoises and their cute little hatchling they can be really dangerous. As an example...this doesn't look like much, the last time he bit me, it took I think 16 or so stitches, while I was typing one handed, just now the wound stopped bleeding. Whew! No ER for me.
When you newbies feed your cute little guy by hand, my Sulcata bit because he thinks my hand is food. Please do not hand feed a larger tortoise. This and worse can happen
005.JPG007.JPG011.JPG006.JPG

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
After I got my sight back, and evidently I hollered cuz I woke up my neighbor, (nurse), she's taking me to the ER, probably 3 stitches. She says I used the word, f**k in ways she'd never heard before.
Can't say I blame you! Holy cow! I probably would have come up with a few new words too lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yikes, I would be throwing the F bomb too.
I assume the nurse cleaned it out really good. Heal fast.
Now onto you not feeling good to begin with. Hows that going? Do you poosibly have covid? Don't mess around with the illness. A trip to the ER might be best.
Take care.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Maggie, I hope you feel better quick! I used your picture to scare the bejeezers outta my son. He got nipped hand feeding one of ours when he was smaller.. now he and them are much bigger and I stay on him not to do that. ! Thanks for the reinforcement!!!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I have done worse to myself cutting cucumbers. Just clean it, glue, and get back to work!

Adult sulcata's mouth, home to a varied tortoise diet along with the occasional adult sulcata-sized excrement vs. a chef's knife/santoku/nakiri/utility knife/paring knife.

Smart move on going to the hospital and getting that cut treated. You can never be too careful.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
I woke up in the middle of the night, sick. Vomiting, severe cold sweats ugly, huh! This morning sick as a freakin dog, went out to dump a bag of produce stuff, blooms, leaves and flower Rose of Sharon, purple, .Zucchini grape leaves. So I'm not really paying attention, to Big Sam. I'm tossing all in big pile and Sam reaches out, and bit me hard. After I got my sight back, and evidently I hollered cuz I woke up my neighbor, (nurse), she's taking me to the ER, probably 3 stitches. She says I used the word, f**k in ways she'd never heard before.
So this thread is for big Sulcata bites. Let's show those relatively new to tortoises and their cute little hatchling they can be really dangerous. As an example...this doesn't look like much, the last time he bit me, it took I think 16 or so stitches, while I was typing one handed, just now the wound stopped bleeding. Whew! No ER for me.
When you newbies feed your cute little guy by hand, my Sulcata bit because he thinks my hand is food. Please do not hand feed a larger tortoise. This and worse can happen
View attachment 304571View attachment 304572View attachment 304573View attachment 304576

my dear maggie3fan,
I soooo know what you are talking about.
Those bites feel like...... I can not even explain??? Some bites break the blood vessels UNDER the skin and don’t bleed right away and you feel like your finger is going to explode! it is dark purple ...
OOUUUCCCHHH for you my friend .
I am grateful for your words to “ baby sulcata” owners. They need to be told ,
When they are big.... SO IS THEIR BITE!
I would rather run into a tree at full speed than get bit by my tort one more time. I think my head would explode!!!
Lesson learned....over and over again.
All I can say now is :
Neosporin
Neosporin
Neosporin!!!!!!!
I hope it feels better soon!
try to wrap the bandage tight at first so the skin can stitch together faster..
???

4B0D6114-87BD-4B90-828A-3D5F3DD1E6F5.jpeg523A0550-874C-477F-B027-D4A7E13908A3.jpeg4DF54A19-280E-49CE-8259-FB9DCB61EBC0.jpegD110D8BA-62BA-477D-BCB2-724F2218F541.jpeg765DD893-AF88-466F-A2CA-037C1D221C90.jpeg

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
my dear maggie3fan,
I soooo know what you are talking about.
Those bites feel like...... I can not even explain??? Some bites break the blood vessels UNDER the skin and don’t bleed right away and you feel like your finger is going to explode! it is dark purple ...
OOUUUCCCHHH for you my friend .
I am grateful for your words to “ baby sulcata” owners. They need to be told ,
When they are big.... SO IS THEIR BITE!
I would rather run into a tree at full speed than get bit by my tort one more time. I think my head would explode!!!
Lesson learned....over and over again.
All I can say now is :
Neosporin
Neosporin
Neosporin!!!!!!!
I hope it feels better soon!
try to wrap the bandage tight at first so the skin can stitch together faster..
???

I also hope YOU feel better!!!