Adult Male leopard tortoise hiding in deserts burrow

Riley ann

Location (City and/or State)
chino
I saw my male leopard 3 days ago and my backyard is very hard to get out of. I have brick walls with cement poured underneath to hold them in place and double as a tortoise barrier. I have two female deserts that have dug a burrow to hibernate and hide when it gets hot. My male has a mate and no way to escape and it’s been 100 degrees at my house. I wonder the chances of my male getting in the burrow and just hiding out and beating the heat. The ladies have been expanding lately and he could easily fit in the burrow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are housing a leopard tortoise with two CDTs? Has anyone told you that is a really really bad idea?

Yes, its possible the the leopard went down the hole to escape the summer heat.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
You are housing a leopard tortoise with two CDTs? Has anyone told you that is a really really bad idea?

Yes, its possible the the leopard went down the hole to escape the summer heat.

Thinking the same thing, however It sounds like the leopard might of escaped and is lost... he sounds like hes saying possibly the tortoise made it into the DT enclosure and went into one of the burrows. I'm not 100 percent. However I would explore any option you might think possible. Escapes are possible even when you think not. The burrows too how big are they? Hopfully no chance for collapse

Kyle

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I saw my male leopard 3 days ago and my backyard is very hard to get out of. I have brick walls with cement poured underneath to hold them in place and double as a tortoise barrier. I have two female deserts that have dug a burrow to hibernate and hide when it gets hot. My male has a mate and no way to escape and it’s been 100 degrees at my house. I wonder the chances of my male getting in the burrow and just hiding out and beating the heat. The ladies have been expanding lately and he could easily fit in the burrow.

If I were you....I would set up individual yard spaces for each tortoise, period.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree that Species shouldn't be mixed if I'm understand your post that they are housed together.
Also agree that the leopard would go into a burrow that just don't dig them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is it possible someone left the gate open? Or the door into the garage?

Riley ann

chino
Is it possible someone left the gate open? Or the door into the garage?

No but I did ask all the neighbors if they have seen him and the humane society picked up a tortoise so I went and looked if it was him we have him posted on all the local pages

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
No but I did ask all the neighbors if they have seen him and the humane society picked up a tortoise so I went and looked if it was him we have him posted on all the local pages

Apology here....I did not realize in the initial thread your tortoise had disappeared as in escaped....I thought you were saying that the tort went down into the the CDT burrow for coolness....how big is the Leopard in comparison to the CDT you have...is the CDT larger so that the Leopard could just easily stroll on in there?

Riley ann

chino
Apology here....I did not realize in the initial thread your tortoise had disappeared as in escaped....I thought you were saying that the tort went down into the the CDT burrow for coolness....how big is the Leopard in comparison to the CDT you have...is the CDT larger so that the Leopard could just easily stroll on in there?

They are really the same size the CDTs are a little bit wider so I think he went down there just because it’s cool and the sun isn’t beating down on him

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They are really the same size the CDTs are a little bit wider so I think he went down there just because it’s cool and the sun isn’t beating down on him
Another thing to think about: CDTs are a whole lot flatter than leopard tortoises. You said your male is full grown, that means he's much more domed than a desert tortoise is. Desert tortoise burrows are not built with a high domed animal in mind. He may be stuck in there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yep a bunch of us misunderstood your post, sorry.
Yvonne's last post scares me. Can you try and dig down into the burrow to be sure he's not down there?
Good luck in finding him. Keep us posted.