Adult female mounting male

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
Has anyone ever experienced a female leopard mounting a male? I've seen this before with with my female Russians but not with my Leo. It was during feeding time so I'm sure it's just a dominance thing. Female is 6 and a half years old and 14.5 inches. I took this photo through the window because I knew she would stop when I came in.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
that is a female bully! she is showing dominance and it may only get worse! are there any other torts in this enclosure or just these two?

...nevermind, I see another one in the back ground.... does she do this to both of them?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I think it's time to separate her from the others! She was cornered and was trying to push the other Leo off the soaking dish. That's why she was on top of the other.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I've seen my adult female try to mount my male before. Doesn't happen often, so I just figured she was just trying to show him what it feels like for a change since he's mounted her so much. :p

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
First time I've seen it. The male she mounting also mounts her. They were both eating mazuri out of the dish he's in. He must have taken over too much of the dish and she decided she didn't like that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes it's bullying, but more often than not it's because the female is ready to have her eggs fertilized.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I hope it's the latter yvonne!! This male and female have only been together a couple months.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Will said:
You can also offer food at more than one location, it works well to reduce food dominance type matters.

Good thing to learn. Thanks.