Adult eating habits

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hi my Russian is a pet store Russian so I don’t know his age but I know he’s not full grown. My question is do adults sometimes not eat daily? He only eats every other day but has food available. It’s probably normal but I’m just use to my young leopard tortoise who eats her weight daily lol.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
If your tortoise is from a pet store, chances are he’s full grown or nearly so.

A healthy Russian in an appropriate enclosure will eat every day. In fact they will all day, if food is available!

If you have only had him a few days, he might still be shy but can we see some pictures of his enclosure to ensure it’s appropriate?

Destben

Kansas
I have had him since last April and he is in very good health. He is not full grown but he is pretty close. I am not worried about his care because I got all my care information here. He is in an closed chamber enclosure from animal plastics. It’s a small but is only temporary. It’s 2X4. The only thing that I think could be the cause is that it gets warm during the day and I think that is due to my leopard tortoises enclosure underneath radiating heat. He also is getting use to the new enclosure because we had to move him into that one so my leopard tort could get her large enclosure. IMG_1544979575.331035.jpgIMG_2085.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Very handsome.

I don't know what to tell you; my Russian has never skipped a day, with the exception of the first few days of an RI. She eats less in the summer but every day; all day long. Russians are the only species prone to overeating, if the enclosure doesn't give them space to "walk it off."

I'm not as experienced as some others are. From what I've seen, most issues are attributed to a wrong setup, usually too small or wrong temps. Yours is too small but you are already planning a solution.

I'll wait for others to give feedback.

Destben

Kansas
I got a weaker wattage basking bulb yesterday and today he came right out to eat. I think it was just to hot.