Adult and Baby?

Xabyr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello all. I was wondering if you think it would be safe to put an adult and a baby tortoise together in the same enclosure. I have an adult male (who I acquired as an adult but I estimate to be ~10-15 years because hes grown a bit in the year since I got him - he is the first and only reptile I've had and I didn't want to risk starting with a baby and end up hurting it from ignorance). I'd like to get a hatchling at some point because I didn't get to experience raising Nico from a baby, and now that I'm confident in my knowledge of tortoises Id feel comfortable with a little one. I'm not in a position to get my baby anytime soon, but in the meantime I'm curious. Would it be safe for the baby to live with an adult male or would I have to get it its own enclosure? I dont have a preference in regards to gender. Would it be better to get a female? I dont want them to constantly breed though and end up with a billion tortoises. Haha. I've seen tortoises co-existing, but does it only really work if they were raised together from birth? What do you guys think?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No way the bigger one will bully the baby . It will hide and not feed and possibly die .

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Definitely keep the baby in a seperate enclosure...otherwise, it's life will be short and terrifying.

Males are VERY territorial!

Xabyr

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I had a feeling you'd say that. Oh well. It would've been nice to only have to have one indoor enclosure, but thats okay. The torties happiness and safety is the most important thing. :) And by the time I get the baby I'll have a real house anyway, so there will be enough room for two!