Adopted tort keeps trying to escape.

Glosseryck

Location (City and/or State)
MALMKÖPING
I adopted a fully grown Greek male a couple of months ago. He's never been able to look outside of his current enclosure, but since his previous owners just let him walk around in the house, he knows that there's an outside world. He spends all of his days trying to look our of the enclosure with no luck. Do you guys have any tips on how to get him to calm down? Do I just have to wait until he's used to being in an enclosure? Or is it impossible for me to make him accept his new way of life? I would really love all kinds of input. Thanks in advance!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am going thru the exact same thing with a little Redfoot tortoise. He's been here for 8 days now and he's been on his back a bunch and he's escape his tort table and his outside enclosure a bunch. It upsets and scares me but he'll settle down in a few days I'm sure...mine and yours both! lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I adopted a fully grown Greek male a couple of months ago. He's never been able to look outside of his current enclosure, but since his previous owners just let him walk around in the house, he knows that there's an outside world. He spends all of his days trying to look our of the enclosure with no luck. Do you guys have any tips on how to get him to calm down? Do I just have to wait until he's used to being in an enclosure? Or is it impossible for me to make him accept his new way of life? I would really love all kinds of input. Thanks in advance!
What size enclosure do you have him in, and what sort of heating and lighting?

Glosseryck

MALMKÖPING
What size enclosure do you have him in, and what sort of heating and lighting?
I have a 2x1 meter enclosure, and he has a heatlamp with uvb on 30 watts, and that's all the lighting he has right now since I live in a country where it's bright outside from early in the morning to very late. He has bark as a substrate and he has a cool hide and a warm hide plus a middle hide. He has plenty of toys and rocks to climb on, and he has a feeding stone (planning on getting a slate) and gets fed 100% fresh weeds and grass. If you need any more info please tell me!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 2x1 meter enclosure, and he has a heatlamp with uvb on 30 watts, and that's all the lighting he has right now since I live in a country where it's bright outside from early in the morning to very late. He has bark as a substrate and he has a cool hide and a warm hide plus a middle hide. He has plenty of toys and rocks to climb on, and he has a feeding stone (planning on getting a slate) and gets fed 100% fresh weeds and grass. If you need any more info please tell me!
That enclosure is pretty small for a full sized adult. I usually recommend 1,2 x 2.4m as a minimum.

Check this out. Lots of tid bits in here that might help you figure out what is bothering him besides the obvious move and smaller enclosure:

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I am going thru the exact same thing with a little Redfoot tortoise. He's been here for 8 days now and he's been on his back a bunch and he's escape his tort table and his outside enclosure a bunch. It upsets and scares me but he'll settle down in a few days I'm sure...mine and yours both! lol
Saw the "for sale" sign... I like it. shape up or ship out!

Glosseryck

MALMKÖPING
Saw the "for sale" sign... I like it. shape up or ship out!
That enclosure is pretty small for a full sized adult. I usually recommend 1,2 x 2.4m as a minimum.

Check this out. Lots of tid bits in here that might help you figure out what is bothering him besides the obvious move and smaller enclosure:

Yes, I agree. I'm looking into upgrading his enclosure, I'm thinking of building a tortoise table. He has a smaller enclosure since he was a rescue, so I put him in what I had at home. His previous home had him in a enclosure that was 0.5x0.5 meters. I have added a second floor / platform to try to help with the smaller size. I also have a bigger outside enclosure for him, that's about 5x5 meters, but I only have him out during the day. But he only goes to one of the corners of his enclosure to tell me that he wants out, he doesn't really explore his enclosure that much. If it makes any difference, he's stunted in his growth. He hasn't grown the last 7 years, or atleast that's what his previous owner told me. So he's probably an inch or two smaller than regular Greeks.

I really appreciate your input! Thank you so much for giving me such great tips. I'll be sure to read the thread you posted.

Glosseryck

MALMKÖPING

(I also made a bit of an error, his enclosure is 1,8x2 meters)