Adopted RT-Shell Distorted

Krabby

Location (City and/or State)
MA
002.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG I adopted this female RT today; she was free. She is 10 years old. In the first few years of her life she had seen
daylight. The last 6 years she has been spent in a cement bin in a corner of a room with a UVB bulb overhead. I only took the tort as I already have a female RT and have a nice set-up both inside/outside.
Her shell is too small. Her beak is overgrown.
She spent the day outside today in the sun. She soaked in her water bowl and roamed the pen. She didn't eat.
Any advice?
We need a new name-her old name is Squiggles.002.JPG 004.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, isn't she just precious! You did a very good thing. Tortoises in this kind of shape are vulnerable because they are unable to get their 'soft' parts all inside the shell. You have to be specially careful with her.

She will benefit from nice warm soaks daily for a couple weeks. It will take her some time to get used to being cared for and interacted with. Be patient and move slowly around her.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The poor thing, how sad for her. So glad you seen she needed some TLC. Listen to Yvonne, she does a lot of rehabbing. Good luck and keep us posted on her progress.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:(
Poor girl, I hope she gets better... you could feed her on some slate, and it;ll wear down her beak naturally.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Oh that poor little girl and I'm super happy she is with you now. I hope in time, her shell can grow bigger. Is that possible??

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
it puzzles me how any one can treat an animal like that. so glad she found a good home now.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If you know what she is used to eating, you could offer her some of that mixed in with the foods you know she should eat.

Poor baby. It's good you've rescued her! Her beak is so overgrown, you should get it shortened as soon as you can. That will help her feeding, too.

She is especially vulnerable to predators, so you'll have to make sure she's secure both indoors & out.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I wanna cry. She is so cute. Can't understand why someone will continue to keep an animal they ignore.
New name? She looks like a "Bertie" to me. Have no idea why but that is the only name that comes to mind.
After some TLC, be sure to show us an "after" photo.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Thank you for providing her a good home. She needs calcium rich foods and good sunlight. Put a cuttlebone in her enclosures and make sure to soak her daily for the first month.

Keep her separate from your other tort both to keep the stress level down and to protect your first tort from any possible diseases or parasites. Russians actually do best alone even if it is 2 females.

Add a little more moisture to her substrate. I like to give mine a moist side and a slightly drier side and let them choose. Not wet just moist. When you squeeze the coco coir you should not have any water drip from your hand.

Good luck.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Adorable...give the tort some time and all will work out.....maybe in a couple of months when the tort is not so new--then you can see if the beak will still need trimming...until then, if it were me, I would offer food on a piece of slate and would offer any food items on the slate or a terra cotta saucer....so that the beak will slowly work itself down....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I know you will likely roll your eyes at this question...but compelled to ask :D Did you set up a new uva/uvb light?

Krabby

MA
I decided to keep her name, "Squibbles". (kind of grew on me) She has a new UVA/UVB light. She is eating and enjoying the pen outside and inside. We are going to the vet this coming Saturday. She has really come round in the last week- Loves to soak and I swear she smiles. I will update everyone Saturday.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Poor girl! I'm so glad you got her.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Good save :) If I were to pick a name for her it would be Hope :)

Krabby

MA
Squibbles went to see the vet on Saturday ( he also owns a RT). She is overweight. He said this could be due to a "diet" of dog food with no exercise. She had her beak and nails trimmed. She looks like a new tort. Her shell will never look normal, but at least she is loved and being given the correct diet. We are waiting for the results of the test for parasites-should be back in a few days.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I'd be suspicious of the overweight diagnosis. She doesn't fit in her shell because the shell is too small from the MBD. Just provide a good diet now and don't worry about weight or weight loss