Adopted a Sulcata

M

Maggie Cummings

The only reason I still have her in my house (besides the fact I only have had her a few days) is because she has pottied at exactly 8:30am in the same spot and easy to clean up. I now have a temporary outdoor spot with fenced in area and covered heated house for her to roam around during the day. I don't want to leave her out at night because I don't know exactly what temp the house it yet. What is the ideal temp to keep the house at? for her comfort?

Maggie or Ken- Is there any weeds around here that are growing wild this time of year that are yummy tort food? I have tons of vegetation, but it seems most things growing this time of year are no-no for torts). Are the ferns that grow everywhere in Oregon okay to eat? What about blackberry leaves? There is a lot of green ground cover type weeds that grow alongside the grass that I hope are okay, since it will be hard to avoid.

Handfuls of grass, most leaves now are dead. I am very serious about overfeeding Sulcata so you'll end up with a monster, in other words, don't. I feed the smaller Sulcata anything I can find growing. I believe the more wild food they get, the better off they'll be. But I don't try to super feed them. Hell, they grow fast enough as it is.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
The only reason I still have her in my house (besides the fact I only have had her a few days) is because she has pottied at exactly 8:30am in the same spot and easy to clean up. I now have a temporary outdoor spot with fenced in area and covered heated house for her to roam around during the day. I don't want to leave her out at night because I don't know exactly what temp the house it yet. What is the ideal temp to keep the house at? for her comfort?

Maggie or Ken- Is there any weeds around here that are growing wild this time of year that are yummy tort food? I have tons of vegetation, but it seems most things growing this time of year are no-no for torts). Are the ferns that grow everywhere in Oregon okay to eat? What about blackberry leaves? There is a lot of green ground cover type weeds that grow alongside the grass that I hope are okay, since it will be hard to avoid.
I have my heaters on a thermostat. Right now it is set to 80 degrees. When it gets really cold, the temperature on my thermometer will drop below that into the 70s but I think it is probably warmer on his heat mat where he sits. When it is too hot, my tort's face will get dark with moisture, like he's sweating, so I think for him 85 is too warm. This is the thermostat I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01486LZ50/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 I can plug two heaters into it. I have a kane heat mat on the floor and a radiant heat panel on the ceiling.