Adopted a 15 year old desert tortoise, named him Tony, we live in San Diego.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Robin, and welcome to the Forum!

Desert tortoises are very territorial. They have their space and they stick to it. Since Tony is now in a completely new-to-him territory, he feels it's his job to get outta' there and head back to where he belongs. Trying to escape, climbing the walls, etc., he's ending up on his back a lot. You just have to be patient with him. Let him know he's safe, there's food and water here, a nice shelter, and eventually he'll settle down and stop ending up on his back. Tony is the only tortoise in the yard, right?

Desert tortoises are one of my very favorite tortoise. I still have one of the first ones I ever got - Mi-shell. She's over 80 years of age. I hope you and Tony will have a very long and happy life together. How about showing us a picture of him?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hello and welcome to the forum.

RobinRae

ENCINITAS
Hi Robin, and welcome to the Forum!

Desert tortoises are very territorial. They have their space and they stick to it. Since Tony is now in a completely new-to-him territory, he feels it's his job to get outta' there and head back to where he belongs. Trying to escape, climbing the walls, etc., he's ending up on his back a lot. You just have to be patient with him. Let him know he's safe, there's food and water here, a nice shelter, and eventually he'll settle down and stop ending up on his back. Tony is the only tortoise in the yard, right?

Desert tortoises are one of my very favorite tortoise. I still have one of the first ones I ever got - Mi-shell. She's over 80 years of age. I hope you and Tony will have a very long and happy life together. How about showing us a picture of him?
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Thank you Yvonne! That is all really good to know! Yesterday he flipped 4 times and we have the same block walls as where he came from. He's got a great space I made him, like an L shape enclosure. I hope he stops trying to climb out, it's upsetting.

Attachments

• PXL_20210408_181212039.jpg
    PXL_20210408_181212039.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21

RobinRae

ENCINITAS
Ok Thanks for the input I appreciate it. He has a large house that he sleeps in at night and he has 3 other things he can get inside of at any time. I took an old dog crate and took it apart and turned them both pieces over ....and they are perfect tunnel/dwellings... He actually falls asleep in one every night before I move him into his big house with the hay. And I also have a little tunnel made out of bamboo that he walks through constantly but doesn't seem to stay inside of it that he just likes going in and out.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Reptiles are hard-core territorial. When moved somewhere New, they are very active -- not because things are interesting and fun -- because they are afraid and wanting to go back somewhere familiar.

Lots of hiding places is helpful getting them to settle down and de-stress. Lots...so they can choose where to hole up.

Consider another row of bricks...if he can see just to or even over the top surface of the wall, that may be enough to make him keep trying to climb it. If he does succeed in scaling a corner when no one is around, he'll be at large in the neighborhood.

So sorry you are both having this stressful time together - it does get better!

Thanks for rescuing.

RobinRae

ENCINITAS
Reptiles are hard-core territorial. When moved somewhere New, they are very active -- not because things are interesting and fun -- because they are afraid and wanting to go back somewhere familiar.

Lots of hiding places is helpful getting them to settle down and de-stress. Lots...so they can choose where to hole up.

Consider another row of bricks...if he can see just to or even over the top surface of the wall, that may be enough to make him keep trying to climb it. If he does succeed in scaling a corner when no one is around, he'll be at large in the neighborhood.

So sorry you are both having this stressful time together - it does get better!

Thanks for rescuing.

RobinRae

ENCINITAS
Thank you for this info! He is in our side yard where we grow our vegetables and have our fruit trees which is gated on both ends and he is in an area that we have basically constructed for him. I will add even more shelters than I already do have for him. His main main home/house is under a large tree that gets the afternoon sun. He never goes near it though during the day. If he were to get out of his enclosure he would end up in our yard which there is no escaping unless a gate was left open and it's not ever because of our dogs we have to be careful. But I appreciate your thoughtfulness and suggestions and I will get a few more things for him to be underneath. Thanks!!