Adopted 2 Leopard tortoises. Sexes please.

Peaglenut

5 Year Member
Ive just taken on 2 leopards tortoises. I got them home today. All is well so far. They have been eating , exploring and a little bit of humping action. They have quite bad pyramiding and I know it cant be rectified but I can improve conditions and diet from today. One has laid eggs in the past. They are thought to be a pair but I'm not do sure ? Its not that I mind, I just don't want to get excited about possible fertile eggs if they are both girls ?
Can anyone help me decide if they are Gertie and Gertie please? ?

received_250835372954711.jpeg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ive just taken on 2 leopards tortoises. I got them home today. All is well so far. They have been eating , exploring and a little bit of humping action. They have quite bad pyramiding and I know it cant be rectified but I can improve conditions and diet from today. One has laid eggs in the past. They are thought to be a pair but I'm not do sure ? Its not that I mind, I just don't want to get excited about possible fertile eggs if they are both girls ?
Can anyone help me decide if they are Gertie and Gertie please? ?
They might both be females. Gertie looks very female, but Bertie's tail is small and the anal scutes are pointing rearward rather than out to the sides, plus the supracaudal scute is flared out away from the tail rather than curving back in toward the tail and anal scutes as it would in a male.

It isn't 100% guaranteed, but I would say it is very likely both are females from what I can see in the photos.

Peaglenut

5 Year Member
They might both be females. Gertie looks very female, but Bertie's tail is small and the anal scutes are pointing rearward rather than out to the sides, plus the supracaudal scute is flared out away from the tail rather than curving back in toward the tail and anal scutes as it would in a male.

It isn't 100% guaranteed, but I would say it is very likely both are females from what I can see in the photos.
Thank you both ?? I too think two girls. In other species I have it is soooo obvious who is who but I am new to leopards. I assumed it would be as obvious. I have 4 tiny babies but it'll be years before I know what they are. I was told that Bertie or (Gertie II) has a small spike on his/her tail but I've yet to see it. I need to find out exactly how old they are too. That would be helpful. Thank you for your help. Ill have to think of another name I think unless Bertie suddenly has a testosterone surge and grows a beard. That would help. Thank you again ??

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you both ?? I too think two girls. In other species I have it is soooo obvious who is who but I am new to leopards. I assumed it would be as obvious. I have 4 tiny babies but it'll be years before I know what they are. I was told that Bertie or (Gertie II) has a small spike on his/her tail but I've yet to see it. I need to find out exactly how old they are too. That would be helpful. Thank you for your help. Ill have to think of another name I think unless Bertie suddenly has a testosterone surge and grows a beard. That would help. Thank you again ??
I don't see any sign of a spike on that tail, nor is it anywhere close to being long and thick as the tail of a male Leopard Tortoise should be. I'd be thinking about the new name if it were my tortoise......

Last edited by a moderator:

TortoiseWarrior

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
If one has laid eggs, my guess would be Bertie. It looks like eggs my have passed. But that's just a guess. Just in case you have to be prepared if you come across fertile eggs.

Peaglenut

5 Year Member
If one has laid eggs, my guess would be Bertie. It looks like eggs my have passed. But that's just a guess. Just in case you have to be prepared if you come across fertile eggs.
The previous owners are quite sure Gertie laid the eggs. I'm pretty certain they are both girls. As much as I'd love them to be a pair I don't think so ??

Peaglenut

5 Year Member
Bertie has a spike and his/her tummy is concaved but still looks female to me compared to others species. Gertie has no spike at all ?

Attachments

• 20201005_152409.jpg
    20201005_152409.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8